or Connect

Posts by CamMom

Thanks Miranda- my son inhaled the Amulet series in a few days and is reading Bone by Jeff Smith. He begs for more Calvin amd Hobbes books (I will admit that Calvin and Hobbes is great). My concern (although I'm letting it go for now) is supporting his reading ability and comprehension. I became an advanced reader as kid by reading big, dense books- but this a new era. I admit the art can be amazing. He became quite animated while describing the Amulet plot this evening....
Thank you everyone- KCMichigan, thank you for the good points. Yes, we are dealing with frustration tolerance. My son gets overwhelmed by the amount of work in the larger problem- screeching that he will "never" finish it- even though it's not that big of leap. It seems to be maturity- he doesn't like to write things down. I probably should have pushed harder on the reading test results. We didn't disparage the easy readers to my son or make him imagine that he was "above...
KCMichigan- our public schools don't start two digit by two digit multiplication until third grade. Your district is certainly ahead of ours in that regard, teaching it in second. Part of the motivation for teaching multiplication (just to explain) in the summer is that DS was multiplying two digit by two digit before the end of the school year. His private school's process for differentiation (so far) is that if he doesn't show complete mastery of a topic, they basically...
Thanks for the input. I've decided to take the "middle ground" after reading some gifted homeschool sites. I think we'll continue on the long multiplication route because he's so close to mastering it, and I know in my heart it will make him feel good to have completed the effort. That said, I'm going to give him some space for a few days and will get rid of the other worksheets altogether.    I'm not going to require reading- I'm a big reader myself only because I...
Hi- I could use some parenting input. My DS6 is starting first grade in the Fall. This summer I bought a couple of the Summer Bridge workbooks at the bookstore with the idea that he would complete a bit each day (about minutes), and maybe a bit of math (say 5 minutes of multiplication learning or practice). My additional rule is that he reads independently about 30 minutes per day (the times and for the most part, the book is his discretion). The reading needs to be done...
We saw a counselor that supported the preschool that my son attended. It's a good place to start- they aren't qualified to diagnose anything, but an experienced child psychologist/therapist sees enough children to recommend an evaluation if one is warranted. The really, really good news is that your daughter isn't having problems at school. It may mean that she a) capable of controlling herself in that environment or b) there is something in the school environment that...
I've mentioned a few times on this forum that my son was quite difficult as a preschooler. We did ultimately take him to a counselor because of his defiance. It helped us find better strategies for managing his behavior. We discovered that anxiety, hyperfocus, and perfectionism were at the root of many of my son's more extreme scenes. These three traits seem to be common among the gifted and can cause some serious behavior problems. We worked (and are working) long and...
I am going to second Tigerle on anxiety being a possible cause- I hadn't thought about it, but my son's anxiety was at the root of some undesirable behaviors at that age. Still is, but we have a better handle on it now. I like the idea of having an appointment made prior to preschool. Overall, your son's behavior sounds age appropriate to me, but if it continues or cause significant issues at school, it could be the sign of needing a bit of help. Have you talked with your...
Dislike is a strong word because kids are still developing their personalities and social skills. I enjoy some children more than I enjoy others.
I have a son and cannot stand hide and seek, tag, or building forts. Guess what he like to do:) I like to build with the blocks he has (Citibloks) it's kind of meditative. I like to read with him and to him, I like teaching anything academic.