or Connect

Posts by Disco Infiltrator

I don't come here much but wanted to answer this. We have a KD for both our kids. He's a friend, and has become a very good friend through this whole thing. He and his partner are our kids uncles. We live 10 minute away from each other and they see the kids regularly - our goal is to get together about once a month, but they have a fabulous DINKs life, so we don't always make that goal. If he and his partner ever have kids I hope the kids will be raised as cousins to...
I think I would steer clear entirely, except that she has opened up the dialogue just a little bit.  I would just email her back and say "yes, I don't feel spanking is an appropriate form of discipline but it's not illegal and you're right that people parent differently.  If you're interested in hearing why I've made the decision to not spank, I'm more than happy to share," and leave the ball in her court.  I hope she would want to enter into conversation and it would be...
A baby around 8 or 9 months can start to have separation anxiety.  It's their realization that they are sperate from you and that you could go away.  It's totally normal, does not require any limit setting whatsoever and it WILL END.  And babies will demand pretty much your heart and soul, at least it seems that way at times.  That will change as well, and they'll start moving out from you and into the world, maybe sooner, maybe later.  I found the first year really was...
  I think you already have the forbidden fruit effect going since you limit TV and your son spends his time and energy trying to get in as much of it as he can because he's not being allowed to make the decision when to stop watching.  And I would also offer that you state that you feel your screen time is justified because you feel you make good use of your time.  Certainly your son does as well - he's five, his definition of good use isn't the same as the...
I'm going take a different approach, and it's coming late in the discussion.  Crying it out is a terrible thing to do to a baby.  They are in great need of comfort and asking for it, and intentionally refusing to give this to them is, in my opinion, criminal.  That said, babies will cry, because they are really traumatized by being in the world, they are so brand-new, and that is how they communicate.  I honestly don't believe that our jobs as parents are to be perfect...
wow.  Thank you Peggy.  That was above and beyond.  I really appreciate that you answered specific questions.  I still have big picture concerns about MDC but those are things that I've held my entire time here, not situational or related to recent events.  Placing the very public acknowledgment of recent events on the top of all pages then coming here to address specific questions and concerns, this completely restores my faith in your good intentions.  Many, many...
yes.   Thank you spedteacher.
  hmmmm...as an RN it's not my scope to know all the ins and outs of the medications I'm administering.  If you would like better information on the TB test, instead of criticizing nurses, ask for a pharmacist.  That's within their scope.  I think you're being unfair and hard on nurses.  As for TB testing, everyone where I work is tested annually, including myself.  It's actually a pretty benign test and I know of no one who has had a negative reaction.   As for this...
have you looked into finding other unschoolers?  DS is four and just now beginning to need more community, so we're seeking it out and hanging out with other unschooling families.  We have a strong HS community in Seattle, but I find that I don't connect in as much with the HS crowd.  You can create the community you need and you'll do that when you need it.  
 kind of my suspicion but only Papa could tell us that.  I'm glad this conversation has happened and hasn't been shut down.   Thank you as well MoonWillow.