or Connect

Posts by umsami

Growing up, my brother and I had no clue that Christmas had anything to do with Jesus's birth (nothing conscious--we saw various Christmas pagents but it never sunk in) nor Easter was about his resurrection.  For us, Christmas was Santa (Mom/Dad), presents, and food.  Easter was the Easter bunny and baskets.  Our Aunt was much more religious and I remember talking about making Jesus a bday cake and we thought that was so strange.  I attended Sunday school when I was...
It's not something she's doing consciously.  Limiting fluids usually has zero effect.  Buy Goodnights or the Pampers version on Amazon through Amazon Mom.  Cheapest way to get them. You can also buy big waterproof soak pads to use that you can wash.  We had 2-3 that could rotate.  Deal was...DS has to put in the laundry, put pull-up in the garbage, and let me know if sheets/jammies need washing.   She probably has a small functional bladder if she has issues on long...
FeralFox--I got a good deal on Kiwi...I think from Mamapedia or Groupon.  I want to say $5.00 for a one year subscription, $10.00 for a two year subscription??  For that, it's worth it--although I'm not sure I'd pay full price.  There's not a lot of new info in the magazine--but it's still nice to read articles that are more organic, whole-living oriented. :)
Hi Pagan Mamas:   Just got the new issue of "Kiwi" and there's a really well done article on a family celebrating Yule/Winter Solstice.  It's basic, but nicely done.  Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up.  http://www.kiwimagonline.com/2011/11/decemberjanuary-2012/   They don't have the article online, but if you can't find it in your area, and want it...let me know.  I can try and scan it in.   Peace.
The IGs are really really basic in the early years.  I think when you get to Kindy (exploring the world? or some such thing), you finally get into a more of a routine.  They now have three week samples of the IGs on Sonlight--so I'd definitely take a look.  Also, there was a Sonlight Preschool Yahoo Group which had a free IG that one of the members had made up...might be worth taking a look.   Honestly, at this age... you're basically just reading and playing....
Oh, thanks for letting me know.  OK, here it is...and i'll fix the original post too.   Let me know if this doesn't work. :)   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEy8Rn4fY   If for some reason it still doesn't work, google "therapeutic parenting" and "lying."  Should show up near the top.
Wa'alaikum Assalam Kanga:   I don't think she'd be that far behind, honestly.  DS1 (8) attended weekend school last year, and he just learned how to read last year.  I don't think everybody in his class can read either.  My guess is that somebody at the school could help get your daughter up to speed, if she was behind.  We paid a tutor $5/lesson/kid to help our kids and it made a big difference.  :)   We love this youtube video.  It's teaching the letter sounds...
My one piece of advice is to nurse taking off and landng....so hold off if its near a feeding time until then. I'd bring some nice diaper covers and wipes as well. I'd also have disposables (with wipes) for traelling. If you have any favorite homeopathic teething remedies, I'd bring those... as well as at least one bottle of dye-free nfant ibuprofin/acetimonphin. When we were in Egypt, we could get liquid...but not as concentrated as the infants kind...so they need...
So many good ideas.   One thing that we implemented that seemed to work is set clean up times, usually before meals or other fun activities.  So, until you've put away your stuff nicely, no lunch, no park, no whatever.   After a few days it really does become routine for them.  You can also make cleaning up more fun.  We'll do, go quickly pick up 10 things.  Now pick up 5 things, but turn around after each item.   Or have races, can you put the books in the bookshelf...
My eldest can be like that...but things are getting better.  One thing that really really helps a lot is that I made these tickets (index cards with a magnet on the back) on the fridge which are good for 20 minutes Mom time.  Each kid has one--and they can give it to me, and pretty much unless I'm cooking something that will burn or feeding the baby, they get 20 minutes totally devoted time.  No computers.  No TV.  No siblings.  They get to choose the activity--and they...