or Connect

Posts by umsami

Not sure how I found this, but I love it. So many of us deal w/ lying...and I think this is a great approach. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDnEy8Rn4fY Fixed link
Wa'alaikum Assalam YSM I've had four miscarriages and four live births. I think the most difficult were the first two...which occured in between DS1 and DS2. I love the hadith about a child who died pulling his parents into Jannah. It does get easier, but it takes time. I remember making up my own little rituals for my lost babies. I also wrote them letters thanking them for the time we had together, however brief. There's something so magical about being pregnant,...
Apparently, very few parents got the apples.  What we used to do is get apples and milk for the kids, and then split a small fry among the three of them.  My daughter actually doesn't like French fries at all--so she was mad when she found the small French fry package in her box.  I actually think this is a good idea, as it might encourage more kids to eat the apples... however I wish there was an option for double apples instead of fries.  I also wish there were more...
Saw this on CNN.  Buy now, as they've had a horrible harvest and most major brands will be increasing their prices bigtime.   http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/14/markets/peanut_butter_prices/index.htm
We applied for and got visas to make Umrah five or so years ago.  I didn't have a shahadah certificate either, but we went to the masjid where we were married and the Imam gave me one and dated it around my approximate reversion.  The one thing I remember is having to get a meningitis vaccine--which was a pain in that I had to go to the local health dept for it.  We didn't get to go, though, because DS2s visa came through too late.     I have US friends who have made...
I'm all for simplifying the tax code.  I'm even OK with a flat tax...but I always thought something around 17-18%, not 9% made more sense.  I do believe that one would have to give people an out on the first 40,000 or so, but I'm not sure of the exact figure.   I'm OK with a VAT or national sales tax too--but only if it goes to pay for universal health care or something along those lines.  I do worry about a slippery slope however.  9% this year... and then in five...
Give your Mom the book "The Moon Under Her Feet." :)  
I face this in my own family.  A cousin, her husband, and kids are missionaries in Indonesia.  I'm a revert to Islam.  My parents have a magnet with their picture on it asking them to pray for their family and their mission.  It just sort of rubs me the wrong way.  I believe that people have the right to religious freedom--so that's not the issue.  However, I have a problem that they seem to be there under false pretenses.  I believe officially they're aid workers or...
Update, we did the 3 month program through LIving Social or Mamapedia (can't remember which).  My kids liked it, but it was way overpriced.  So many ways that it could be improved.  I have not ordered the additional months.  Only my 7 (now 8) year old could do any of the games, codes, etc.  Still, we now have a very nice map which the kids like referring to. LOL
I agree.  I faced the problem of having older parents who had gone to school back in the days when one got in largely based on who one knew...no SATs or anything.  They didn't really help me choose a college that was a good fit for me... nor did the college adviser at the private school I attended.  It was more based on this is an excellent school, and they have the major you want--so go there.