or Connect

Posts by umsami

We do things almost every day.  My go-to is drawing.  We buy a big package of coloring paper at BJs (warehouse club) and the kids know where to get it. We also always have crayons in a pencil box on the dinner table.   Usually every few months, I'll make up a big batch of playdough.  The kids get rolling pins, knives, cookie-cutters, etc. and go to town.  They'll actually play with it for nearly an hour. :)   I bought some of the Kumon craft books (cutting,...
We're in the process of looking for books for my two eldest on sex, and I've noticed that if one looks at books from the 70s (I think "Where Did I Come from?" is one), one is likely to just see "vagina"--rather than labia, vulva, etc.  If one looks at more recently created books ("What the Big Secret", "it's Not the Stork"), one will see vulva for the external genitalia, and vagina referring to the actual vagina.  My guess is that back in the 70s, it was a big deal...and...
Just keep speaking to her in Arabic--whether she speaks to you or not.  You can always say that you don't understand, but I'd probably wait until she was a bit older for that.   Do you live near a large Arabic-speaking community? It's rare, but in some areas (Dearborn, Brooklyn, ???) you can find Arabic-speaking schools.   Noorart.com is a great resource for Arabic-language books.  You can even buy a bunch of Scholastic readers in Arabic.  Of course, Amazon...
I have a 4 yo DD who loves dresses.  Nine times out of ten, she pairs them with leggings or shorts (or another tutu or whatever--her choice--she picks out 99% of her outfits).  She does like to go upside down on the couch, etc.  It usually isn't an issue--because if you do see her undies it's a quick glimpse as she flips back over.  However, sometimes we'll tell her, "I can see your undies"...and she puts her dress down.    It's not a big deal--or about vulva-shaming...
So as Muslims, we say, "Bismillah-ar-Rahman-ar-Rahim" which means "In the name of God, the Most Merciful, the Most Compassionate."   At the end, we say, "Alhamdullilah" which means "All thanks to God."   When my kids visit my Mom, they sing (to the tune of the ABC song).."A-B-C-D-E-F-G  Thank you God for feeding me."   When I was a little tyke, we used to sing part of the Johnny Appleseed song, which I really used to love.  If you search on YouTube I'm sure...
The beginning was very disturbing for me--yet I did keep going, and I'm not sorry I did.  At least allow yourself to get to the point where he gets to "the shack".  There's many things I loved about that portion of the book--although I'm not sure I'd classify it as a great. book. :)    
I'll keep your husband and your family in my prayers.     May God guide all of the doctors and nurses taking care of him as well.
I ran across this website today and thought it might appeal to some of the Jewish mamas here on MDC.  (I realize that it may go beyond Jewish Mamas, says the Muslim mama. :))   http://telshemesh.org/   This may be one of those sites that everybody knows about--but in case it's new to you, thought I'd post.   Peace.
It's totally fascinating story which tells the story of Mary Magdalene, Jesus, Mary, etc. from a Goddess perspective.     http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Under-Her-Feet/dp/0062504975   "This feminist retelling of the conception, birth, life and death of Christ as narrated by Mary Magdalene may cause some uproar in Christian circles. Yeshua (Christ) is born to Almah Mari (the Virgin Mary) after her union in Sacred Marriage at the Temple in Jerusalem with an unblemished...
I'm so sorry for your losses.   This is what I'd say:   1. That's a great idea. I don't know why God didn't do that.  What you can do is write your Grandpa and Uncle letters.  Why don't you help me pick out the paper, and tell me what you want to say.  Then we can make a special mailbox for God and you can put them in there. (Or burn them...or put them on a boat in a lake, etc.)   2.  We don't really know.  What do you think?  Why would you want to be see-through? Why...