or Connect

Posts by umsami

Mabrook! Masha'Allah!! Enjoy that precious little girl. :)
Being Muslim and wearing hijab, I've gotten a few nasty comments in past years--and have had to explain some things to my kids.  (Some bad guys who were Muslims flew planes into buildings and hurt a lot of innocent people. Sometimes people need to vent their anger and sadness, so when they see me, they want to yell at the bad Muslims who did this but yell at me instead.)  Still, I hope to avoid the actual footage and details until they're older.  
lava mama--I downloaded the obedience one today--and my kids totally liked it.  Nothing religious either.  I'm not sure how we're supposed to use them--I'm assuming one/month as there are 12 values.  Did your family use them in your FHE routine or was it a separate thing?  I know they used to have sales reps but don't anymore.  In a way they wish they still did, so I could get tips on using them. :)   They have two or three monthly download kits where you can get the...
I read about a group called Brite Music which has made products since the 80s.  Their Safety Kids progam (digital version) is on sale right now for only $17.95.  So far, I've done the first group with my kids (4, 6, 8)--and they've all really liked it.  Four year old finally learned her phone number too...thanks to the song.  I think it was started by a Mormon woman, but I haven't really noticed any religious references.  It's secular as far as I can tell. I'm not sure...
I don't think the 4 year old is at the age to understand the concept of stealing.  I think you could bring it up with her in terms of borrowing/sharing.  Why don't you create a toy lending library? Make a little card for her and let her "check out" a few toys each time she visits.  Once those are returned, she can borrow some more??  I'd also tell her that you guys are happy to share toys, but you need to know where they are... so that you don't spend hours looking for...
I think it would be a lovely gesture that would be very much appreciated.  Honestly, give what you'd give somebody else for Christmas.  The only prohibitions would be no alcohol/pork (gelatin) in food gifts. :)   You can write "Happy Eid" or "Eid Mubarak" or "Eid Sayeed" as a greeting.  :)
Assalamu Alaikum:   Full-length skirt, no slit alert!!  Just picked up one khaki and one denim long skirt at Old Navy.  $32.00 each. They ran big, so I think even if you're up to a 20 or 22, you might be able to buy one off the rack. They're kind of that gypsy/boho look.  Completely full-length--no slits... so if you're looking for new clothes for Eid, this might work for you.  I didn't find any long-sleeve tops that worked with the skirts, though--although they just...
Have a wonderful and safe trip 1jooj.   I thought I was over the patriarchal God is a man thing, but I do have to admit saying "she" or goddess or whatever shows that i'm not.  Insha'Allah, with work, I can get there. LOL   Found this which I thought was interesting.  Ibn 'Arabi apparently said "she" for Allah(swt) on occasion.     http://adishakti.org/_/islam_and_the_divine_feminine.htm   "That is why Ibn al-‘Arabî says Allah can be referred to as both...
Assalamu Alaikum Sisters:   Right now, I'm struggling with how it seems like in the West, at least, we assume that Allah(swt) is male.  In English translations, Allah(swt) is referred to as He--but one of the things that drew me to Islam so many years ago was the fact that Allah (swt) was not He.  Was not she.  Was both.  Or neither.  I know that in the Arabic, one uses "hu" which is more like "it"--but I think that perhaps because I was raised a Christian, I still...
Jazakh'Allah Khairun, Liquesce...that looks neat. :)     Oh, Amazon has an 11 pound box of Organic Dates for only $72.75  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036QKYD8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER   There's also a store selling Ajwa dates (supposedly beloved by the Prophet (saws) called ZumZumstore.com