or Connect

Posts by Smithie

I also don't think I could go the foster route again. Older child adoption, certainly. But it would have to be international or an entirely private domestic arrangement (such as a friend or family member who was terminally sick or going to jail or otherwise needing to make permanent arrangements for her child).    PUH wrote: "Bio Mom is still out of the picture/ Bio Dad unknown, it is bio Grandmother and siblings who want to maintain contact.  In my opinion, I am willing...
Glad to hear it :-) I live in the Bible Belt, and even so, it was just a couplefew times we had a bad experience. A foster agency turned us down, a worker wondered why we didn't give our child to a Christian family every Sunday to be taken to church. Also a million strange and sometimes intrusive questions, but that's not a hateful thing IMO, it just reminded me that I am a gefilte fish out of water in this town.
TeamViddy, I don't know where you live, but we dealt with several anti-Semitic social workers in our process :-( I hasten to say that the vast majority were NOT bigoted in that way, they just wanted a safe clean place to deposit terrified children, but if I could have avoided disclosing I would have. We are more than culturally Jewish, we are temple-affiliated etc., so I had to either disclose or lie. I don't think you are in that position.
Our placement was made without consultation, but the adoption happened with mom's consent. It was a wonderful thing for my son to see his parents collaborating instead of duking it out in court, and I felt I couldn't risk having anti-Semitism become a roadblock in that process. TeamViddy is probably not going to be as lucky as we were, because almost nobody is as lucky as we were... but why not set yourself up for things to go smoothly? Being culturally Jewish is like...
Hi TeamViddy! In your situation, I would steer clear of mentioning Judaism in materials that will be shared with birthmothers. It's very unlikely that they will 1) be Jewish or 2) know enough about Judaism to even understand what Tot Shabbat is. You can be honest about your religious beliefs without mentioning your ethnicity. We had to state religion on our form (for adoption from foster care), but that info was not shared with the mom until I chose to share it a few...
Emaye, thanks for telling me about the Calvert option! I have requested a brochure from them. I really do like the Calvert curriculum, and to get it for free is a tempting proposition... though I suspect that we're going to wind up not doing any of the virtual charter schools next year. Maybe in a few years when my kids are older. Reading up on the various options reminded us why we went independent in the the first place ;-)   MittensKittens, I used K12 for the...
We're in South Carolina! It's very nice to hear that you didn't have logistical/interpersonal issues with the folks that run this charter school. K12 required my son to log 10% of his total schooling hours doing non-K12 educational stuff - library trips, music lessons, etc. (Or in our case, Latin and notebooking.) Did Connections have a similar requirement when you were using them, or did the LiveLessons meet the legal requirements for in-person instruction?
I have kids currently in public school who are thinking about coming home for 4th and 2nd grade. I used K12 for one year and wasn't thrilled, but the nature of my not-thrilled wasn't related to having to log in each day or conference with the "teacher" or anything like that. I don't mind the structured aspects of the virtual charter school experience. My issues were more related to a lack of quality and rigor in the curriculum. The next year I used the classical method,...
Sorry, I'm a terminal busybody, which is why the internet such a blessing to me ;-)
Hey scruffy! I guess you've had your baby now! Congrats!   We have a blended-esque situation where some friends of the family are in the process of trying to adopt my son's much younger half-sibs. Our solution has been to give this couple the aunt/uncle designation, and cast all their kids as "cousins" of our kids. I think this is something that might work in a civil post-divorce situation. For sure, it seems hugely important to find a way to acknowledge the fact...