or Connect

Posts by Danesmama

Thanks for all of the replies!     Lauren-  Getting your PE means getting your Professional Engineer's license.   Without my PE I can only work under another engineer because I don't have a license to guarantee my work (you could compare it to taking the Barr for lawyers or being board certified as a doctor).  I looked into getting my PE after all of this time and it turns out they have increased the requirements.  I'd have to work for another 4 years before I could even...
I'm not sure where to start, so I'll just jump in!   I have been a SAHM for the past 10 years.  I have a Master Degree in Structural Engineering, but never worked long enough to get my PE, which I totally regret now.  Our family is having financial stress, which is adding a lot of stress to dh and my relationship.  I am beginning to consider going back to work, but am totally lost in how to start!  My first instinct is to go back to school for a little bit to refresh my...
I bought a bunch of steel cut oats about a year ago that we have not eaten. My ds#1 (9 years old) boycotted oats when I started making the steel cut rather than rolled. So, the steel cut oats got put away and kind of forgotten. They are stored in our downstairs room that is usually below 64 degrees F. Do you think these have gone rancid? They don't smell bad, but many Traditional Food sources warn against eating older whole grains. What do you think, do I need...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride Okay - so it's not OK not to apologize. Do you have any suggestions for someone like my dd? I'd like her to learn to use those words, simply because I know that some people attach importance to them. However, I don't see how standing there, holding her arm, and going, "say you're sorry", while she cries her eyes out and/or screams is going to make anybody feel any better. I'm really kind of lost as to how anybody...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride And, making them apologize teaches them that it's okay to be mean, as long as you say "I'm sorry". You know...dd almost never says "I'm sorry". She'll run away crying, and be miserable for hours over this issue. However, once it's explained to her that her actions hurt someone, she generally doesn't do it again, and she does try to make it up to the person in some other way. DS2 will apologize at the drop of a...
I have my children apologize. I don't "force" my children to apologize - there is no strong arming. I think letting your child not apologize is letting them feel that their actions are OK, when they are not. I do try to explain to my children why they are apologizing and teach them empathy (although empathy seems like an uphill battle at times). I also very openly apologize to my children when I've done something wrong. There is no modeling that when you apologize...
I was hoping some of you would have some suggestions of how I could deal with my sons fighting over toys? We are just starting Summer Vacation and I am already at my boiling point over all of their fights. They grapple over everything!!! It doesn't matter if we have multiples of what they are fighting over - they just fight over the one that the other brother has. Our lives have been pretty stressful lately and I find myself really close to TOTALLY losing my temper....
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FIGHT OVER EVERY SINGLE TOY IN THE HOUSE! WE HAVE FIVE LIGHT SABERS - YOU MAY NOT ALL FIGHT OVER THE ONE WITH THE FUNNY SCRATCH IN ITS HANDLE!!!!!!! PLEASE STOP HITTING YOUR BROTHER!!!!! (multiply this one by a million) PLEASE STOP WHINING - YOU MAY NOT WATCH TV ALL DAY. YOU MAY NOT EAT YOUR BROTHER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE FOR BREAKFAST. YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO SHARE. WHINING ABOUT ANYTHING WILL NOT CHANGE MY MIND!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE JUST BE QUIET AND...
I like sugar too : I have had a hard time making the TF switch. I used to work in a bakery and love to make muffins, cakes, quick breads etc. Luckily I have been making some sourdough bread, but I use a little bit of yeast and about half white bread flour in my recipe, which makes it a lot less TF. I guess I just need to remember that this is a journey and keep making small changes.
I'm just starting to read the China Study and have followed NT for a long time. I hope this thread stays alive because after I finish the China Study I am going to read Weston A Price's book. So far with the China Study I have felt like the data presented to me are a little bit skewed. Like the idea that isolated casein protein causing an increase of cancer can be extrapolated to mean that all protein could increase the risk of cancer. From what I know of NT, any...