or Connect

Posts by coldandsleepy

I've got a 3 year old and a 9 month old. My 3 year old would be happy to hear books all day long. I'd say that on the average weekday, we spend a minimum of an hour on picture books throughout the day, then 30-60 minutes reading a chapter book before bed. The 9 month old is just getting to the point of being interested in the most babyish picture books (like the ones with actual photos of babies etc). I try to read just to him at least once a day but it's hit or miss. ...
W's been walking for a little over a month now.  At first it was just a few steps here and there but dude is a SPEED DEMON now.  He tends to kind of flap his hands while he does it too.  It's adorable.    W doesn't actually put a lot of stuff in his mouth other than food... but I wonder if I just feel that way because my first was (and to some extent still is!) an everything in the mouth guy.  We jokingly call food bits on the floor "floor treats" because of how...
  My older son was like this.  He really didn't eat more than 1-2 bites of any solid food til about 15 months and he didn't eat actual meals until 20 months or so... at 3, believe me, the guy knows how to eat!  Some babies are just slower to warm up to solids.   W is really into finger foods now.  Anything with little bits appeals to him.  He also loves... celery.  If he could gnaw on celery all day long, I think he would.   He'll eat bites from a spoon if it's something...
Here's W two weeks ago:       He'd trade teeth for more hair too!  I live in constant terror that he's going to get a sunburn on his scalp because he whips all hats except this one off pretty much instantly.  (This one's no good to chew, I guess.)
Hooo, I hear you AQ.  We have some plastic storage bins in our living room, one of which I use for diapers and one of which I use for W's clothes... and both of which we had been using to block off areas that we didn't want him to crawl/cruise to.  About 2 weeks ago, he figured out how to get on top of them.  A day later he realized he could use this skill to climb on top of other things... like stairs.  We don't have any inside our house, but there are stairs out our...
So W's separation anxiety started some time ago-- right around when he started crawling (at 5 months).  It actually seems to be starting to ebb now, fingers crossed.  For a while it was so so bad, worse than I think his brother's has ever been.  He still doesn't like strangers and doesn't really seem to need a lot of external (beyond his family) social input, but i'm guessing that may just be his personality, as I am much the same way.   His transition to daycare has...
Best thing about W: at night before bed, and sometimes in the morning if he wakes up a bit early, he gets into this really sweet and silly mood where he'll crawl a few feet away from me, then crawl back, nuzzle me with his face, and smile and laugh. Like "hey! I'm so happy that you're right where I left you mama!" Worst thing: I never feel like I have enough time with him one on one... I still need to devote most of my time to my older son who just needs me a lot...
My almost 3 year old son is also terrified of automatic flushing toilets and hand dryers... he'll still use public/unknown toilets but he flips when he hears the noise.  (It didn't bother him for the first 6-7 months after he potty trained.  Not sure what happened!  He doesn't mind the vaccuum cleaner etc, just loud bathroom noises really.)     One thing that's been helpful to him is that when we're in one together (which we are most of the time-- different story...
Oh my goodness, what a cute group of little people we have going here!  Here is my W:       He is suuuuuch a sweet and mellow baby compared to his older brother.  He is always smiley and is happy to play with me or his brother, but just as happy to just play by himself.  He'll crawl around quietly, find something to play with, sit himself down and play with it for sometimes as long as 20 minutes a stretch.  This seems totally incredible compared to #1.  :)...
W is SO into food.  He didn't seem to have a tongue thrust reflex to start with and if he ever had one... it's gone now.  He really chews at food (and he has 8 teeth, so he can really break things down!) like he knows what he's doing, and he WANTS everything.  I don't eat with him sitting in my lap anymore because he'll just plunge his little fist right into my meal and then jam it in his mouth.  Messy!   He still nurses about every other hour all day long, and once...