or Connect

Posts by dongurigal

Stereo mood
Found my babysitters through an online mom's group and advertising in the small apartment building where I live--there are several teenage girls who live in the building. Have also perused the ads on Craigslist too plus word of mouth from friends. DH and I don't bother with date night--dd doesn't go to bed easily, so if a babysitter came, dd would be up till we got home. However, we have done lunch dates on a sat or sunday. Couple of hours, just us. Babysitter comes...
How did you come to the decision to stay-at-home? Fell into it. I was a teacher for many years--internationally. Loved my job and loved life as an international teacher. Met DH overseas. After getting married, I became what's known as a 'trailing spouse.' Yikes...there were few job opportunities in the countries we lived in (and sometimes I wasn't permitted to work), even with a job as portable as teaching--so ended up a housewife first and then, when DD was born, a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Adamsmama I'm just curious, though, as SAHMs what do YOU do if you need an emergency babysitter. I guess I see the opposite problem of the OP. As a SAHM I did make a sacrifice (as did my DH) to have me stay at home ... but because I stay at home, sometimes (rarely -- maybe 3x a year) need help -- need someone to watch my kids for a couple hours during a dr. appt. What then? (It isn't always possible for my husband to get...
Haven't read all the answers, so I hope I'm not repeating what's already been said. I don't know if I'd choose to be a SAHM if my DH weren't already helping out if I were working full time. You just have to peruse the SAHM threads here to see how exhausting it can be to be at home all day long with a couple of kids and then get no help in the evening. If you're not getting help now for something as basic as making supper, for whatever reason, valid or not, then you're...
I do. But I live in an inner suburb of Paris so absolutely everything from hardware stores to bakeries to parks to grocery stores is within walking distance. Otherwise, it's metro, train or bus. Buses here have designated sections for strollers.
Seems like a pretty normal day. My daughter is 19 months and I'm also pregnant. Tired a lot. She has tantrums. Prefers outdoors, climbing and running--which is fine till about 10 and then it's just too hot. For me anyway, she'd stay out all day if I let her. I just started 'quiet time' with her and surprisingly, it's working. Basically, go in her bedroom, which is pretty much child proof, close the door, tell her to go read her books or play with her toys and then I...
Can you afford a cleaner? A blogger I love once said it was the best investment she made in her marriage. Better than marital therapy. I agree with a pp, give yourself some down time after your child goes to bed and stick with it. Put your feet up, relax, go on the computer, read a book, let the dishes sit in the sink (even if you don't like it), leave the toys on the floor. If your DH is done for the day, then so are you. The mess can get cleaned up the next...
Babysitter, for sure. But then our apartment is small, so I can keep up with the cleaning. (So I like to think.)
Agree with Marylizah. I'm learning the French system having just moved here, but there seem to be a lot of great social programs for families. SAHMs (and actually, there don't seem to be all that many French SAHMs, it's just not done) can drop their children off at halte guarderies several times a week so that they have time for themselves and their children are 'socialized.' The wait lists for this service are long, but once in, the hourly rate is incredibly cheap...