or Connect

Posts by Swan3

So sorry your girls have had to witness this horrible behaviour. That would absolutely break my heart. I agree that disowning them publicly is not helpful but I also think that perhaps a letter is in order reminding them that they're dealing with a CHILD and that whatever their personal beliefs may be that children are sacred and should be treated with love and respect. I understand why your partner is uncomfortable with the topic, but I do feel that the offending...
Although we were so incredibly busy, and even though DD1 took off on me and went missing for 20 minutes in the clothing section of a huge dept store (with security cameras looking for her, staff, even other customers)...I didn't lose it today. Today what kept going through my head was "break down to break through" and last night DD1 and I had that. I was exhausted yesterday...she called me idiot at least twenty times and hit me almost as many times. I probably nagged...
Oh ladies..we can do it. I wonder if the holidays have an exacerbating effect and take a while to get over? We had a fantastic day today, and it went south when I had to put some medicines on the younger one today...DD1 was trying to touch the very contagious spots on DD2 and just not co-operating while DD2 had a screaming fit. I yelled (after several attempts to distract & redirect) and had to move her to another room so that I could finish treating DD2. I've...
Must repeat the mantra...today was not a good day. DD bit me several times and the last (and hardest, finger still hurts) I lost it. Hoping for a better day tomorrow, hoping my kid still trusts me.
Wow, that would be a tough one to NOT say anything about. One thing I've done for all my friends and acquaintances is get them Dr Sears Baby Book....before they have the baby and let them know that it's answered many many questions for me. I'll sometimes even show them my well-used copy. In this case I might send her some links on babywearing and carrying...good luck!
Ah...despite our efforts to clearly tell our families to please not over-buy (even having a "only for kids" rule) our back entry is bursting at the seams with random gifts. We graciously accept the gifts when we get them, but I did ask my mother today if we gave her the impression that we wanted gifts after we'd already agreed to no gifts for the adults... So, we're working on it again this year. I'll be sending out the message loud and clear that we just don't have the...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades That's pretty out of line for you, imo. You expect her to leave her laptop unless he's asleep rather than redirect him??? If that happened to me, I wouldn't visit you again. Of course I'm attached to my laptop all the time, and yes, my kids went through that stage, but it's totally inappropriate to expect everyone else to keep their things put away because he's bothering it. As a PP said, if something belongs to...
Every single gift our DDs have received from my MIL are gifts we don't approve of and would never buy for them. That said, we actually PREFER preloved items as we believe it's less wasteful...she loves automated speaking (LOUD) toys. We accept the gifts gracefully and move on. Having said that, I think I"m going to go check out the GRATITUDE thread!
Funny, I was just thinking of this question at my ILs today. They are very stoic people and border on the "children-should-be-seen-and-not-heard" mentality. It was the house of "no" today for our three year old, but also of great expectations for how she should relate to the dog they're sitting (which they didn't tell us about beforehand). We were warned that the dog could bite, but that we should forgive it because it's just a puppy....and then several hours of "she...
Oh man. It's taken me so long to get to this place because my DD was exactly as you described. And with the label "failure to thrive" on top I was a mess and couldn't deal with her not eating thinking I was starving her. Here's what I do now and it's working pretty well. Easier said than done but mealtimes are no longer a power struggle. Feed every two hours Provide choices that are likely wins (but still healthy) Do NOT intervene, as in no spoon feeding When she's...