or Connect

Posts by Nicole

I am someone who has been exploring the possibility of converting to Catholicism for over a year. I must admit, the position on birth control is one of the biggest last hurdles for me. I just waant to contribute a thought here. I too am isolated from family and have only one friend with whom I can leave my child while dh is at work. During my baby's first nine months after birth I had NO one to help me and sometimes I thought I was going to die of lonliness and...
Hi, everyone. I just want to thank you for all your replies and links. This has been very helpful!
Thank you, I will look at it!
I have been interested in learning more about the Catholic faith but have so many questions that I do not feel at all ready to commit to RCIA; I'm not sure if I am just supposed to be learning more or actually converting! Would anyone be willing to help me understand a couple of things? One, while I understand that traditionally the Church has been seen to have "issues" with sexuality (and the material world in general), I also have found evidence of body- and...
I have always thought that a God who is still in the process of creation, and has been for millions of years, is much more powerful, beautiful and holy than one who got it all over with in a few days. As metaphor, Genesis is a beautiful creation story, but I do not think we were ever meant to take it literally. I've been wondering if the Fall and expulsion from the Garden into a life of toil is a metaphor for the shift from hunting and gathering (which requires...
Have you tried word of mouth? I have friends who had birthed with midwives and a large part of my decision was based on their recommendations and birth stories. I chose to work with the midwives who were recommended by the friend who is most like me in terms of emotional needs. It was the right choice for me.Can you ask around in your community through birthing classes, La Leche League, etc.? Best wishes for your search.
I believe women need to give birth where they truely feel safest and most supported. For some this will be at home, for some, a hospital. I had a fabulous home birth, but one of my best friends (who attended my birth) had two great hospital births without unwanted interventions. Here's why: she and her husband were well educated about the birth process and their choices and they were very firm about these choices with the medical staff. Not confrontational, but determined...