or Connect

Posts by Jillybean

That's for the link AAK, very helpful! Glad to hear you're doing it without a tutor, it's encouraging. I know what you mean about watching your dd struggle. Ds really loves drawing and wants to write and illustrate his own books so it's hard to watch him get so frustrated and discouraged   Daffodil, yeah all the info just seemed so confusing, I'm happy it's not just me! I'll research phonological processing and naming speed more specifically, I hadn't heard of...
Well, I have a thyroid condition so my go-to response is usually check your thyroid! But the concussion thing sounds reasonable. My only other thought was a sleep disturbance of some sort, like sleep apnea. At any rate, I think you should get it checked out just to be sure. Feeling tired all the time is awful. Hope you figure it out!
Sorry, I guess I should have specified. I've just recently moved beyond thinking he's just a bit of a late reader to realizing something else is going on. All the dyslexia info is a bit overwhelming but as far as I can tell he has most of the "classic" markers. So, yes he struggles with phonics. He mixes up what vowels say what for example, or right now he's struggling with consonant blends. Mixes up "sh" "ch" and "th" or leaves out a letter where there should be or or...
We don't really *do* them either, but we talk about it like it's a fun story or pretend- in sort of a wink, wink, nudge, nudge kind of way. Like, my dd found the wrappers for the candy that was in their Easter baskets in my closet, and I told her that the Easter Bunny was being lazy and didn't throw the trash away. Of course she knew it was me (Mama = too lazy to throw trash away!) My oldest is on the spectrum and to him lying is lying, no matter the motivation, so...
Mine is pretty new and more of a humorous blog (er, at least I hope it is!)  http://www.talesofafailedcrunchymom.com/ but I do homeschool and all that jazz!
I'm pretty sure my 7 (almost 8) year old is dyslexic. Haven't gotten him tested yet, but whether he is or not, getting him to read and write is such a struggle. I've done some research on curriculum and teaching approaches, but it seems like most websites are geared towards kids who are in school and strongly suggest getting a tutor. So I wanted to know if anyone is handling this type of situation themselves, what curriculum is working, what you require. I feel like I...
We live in apartment complex with a lot of kids and my 10 year does play with the younger kids sometimes. I think it's fine BUT- he has younger siblings and is generally really good with younger kids. If these boys are acting inappropriately (and we have a group like that here so I know exactly what you mean) then I would probably not let him play with them. Is there something you could keep handy to distract him when he wants to go play with them? I bring out the play...
laundry, as usual. Not successful in getting Dh an appointment for the "big V." Why must our deductible be so high? Stupid insurance...
Yes I would use it, I don't think its a big deal. I have a Sebastian, it is a pretty great name
Quote: But it might be more special if its just us anyways. Sigh, to be honest organizing any sort of b day party is kinda overwhelming to me since I never had one for myself, or attended one as a child You also don't have to do a party if you don't want to! My ds1's b-day is Dec. 23, we did a party on his first b-day but none after that. I always give the kids the option of doing something special or having a party. Ds1 hates parties so we usually go...