or Connect

Posts by momma_unlimited

We don't really hang out with a lot of adult men (besides Gramps & Dad), but all my mom friends my kids call "Mama So-and-So" and all the non-moms they call "Miss First-Name".
I beefed up my supplement routine and that has helped maybe 33%. I'm just trying to hang in there, trying to go to a therapist produced more anxiety than I anticipated just because I can't find anyone to watch the kids that I could feel comfortable with, so I gave up. I only have 6-7 more weeks, and if I survive dh's big business trip coming up I think I can survive til the baby arrives. If having the baby doesn't change my emotional state then I will pursue therapy again.
Looking at your post I see almost all of the things he tantrums over seem to be about control- him wanting to be in control or do it himself. Can you pick special times of the day to role play and magnify for him his sense of feeling powerful and in charge? Play a game where he sets the rules or he calls the shots (mother may I, for instance?). And for all sorts of seemingly normal things he does do for himself, help bring it to his awareness that *he* did it. "Look...
Quote: I am very upset at the way people have been reacting to my son and my parenting, but their approach has worked because it has made me do things that I regret, including things like "you will not get your way". It has caused problems between ds and I, but he is still young and I am determined to ignore others and help him through this stage in the way he deserves. It seems to be such a fine line between having an oppositional attitude of "if you...
DiasMumma- After reading your post, my thoughts were (and I have been in your position)- just don't have any beverages but water in the house for a while. Calcium fortified juice is inferior, anything "fortified" is lacking the nutrient complex that only nature can endow a food with, a whole food not processed (juiced, concentrated, pasteurized, etc)... I don't think you need to worry about it so much, I believe the good feelings you maintain with your daughter will...
I have found it to be very effective to create lots of awareness of exactly what my child looks/sounds like when being sassy or rude. For instance, I'll say "When you roll your eyes like this (and then I imitate it) I feel offended because I think you are trying to tell me with your body language what I have to say is worthless..." or something like that (tone of voice, etc). Then I ask my child to try saying that again in a way that sasy what she wants to say without...
I gave up because my son poops a million times a day. Well, now 5 or 6. Double that when he was an infant (he's 2 now). And, for whatever reasons, his poo is almost NEVER solid- it's like mayonaise texture, and won't "shake off", so I literally had to get a spatula and scrape it off while wearing plastic gloves, and if it doesn't land just right in the toilet, it splatters all over, or lands on the dry part of the inside of the bowl and doesn't flush off, and I have to...
I have a four yr old and I feel things have been getting much better lately. He feels more cooperative when I give him plenty of attention (physical closeness, doing something he enjoys with him every day, listening and asking questions). I've really taken to heart a bit of advice I read in his Pre-K curriculum- "Whenever we take an immovable stance, we actually force our children to take the opposite stance, for nature always seeks a balance in everything". I have...
When they are teething or going through a growth spurt (nursing constantly), or going through a clingy phase (which on the flip side, generally means soon they will have a developmental breakthrough and be more independent!), just make baby your number one priority and do some easy crock pot meals started earlier during the day, or chopping/prepping earlier so cook time is less involved. Plan for a walk in the stroller during the "witching hours" (starting around 4 and...
I tend to think that the mamas who need schedules/tradition to feel sane are better off putting their kids on a schedule because otherwise they will be miserable and so will their kids... humans are pretty adaptable and while perhaps not ideal, at least they are getting fed and sleeping a regular times and not neglected. But I share your perspective on being sensitive to their needs and not witholding food or being militant about a bedtime... my dh works late too and none...