or Connect

Posts by laurajean

I am a caught-in-the-middle weaner. When I first had my ds, I thought I would do clw, however, as 3.5 years was arriving and he was still nursing at every chance he could get, I felt that I needed to talk to him about it. I just could not picture myself going through another hot and sweaty city summer with a large child nursing a lot. We talked about his feelings and I talked about mine. Then we decided to gradually decrease the nursing... and stop ceremoniously on...
If you plan on homeschooling, than it really doesn't matter how other children do in preschool. As a preschool teacher, at a very progressive school in NYC, I have seen children who would be much better off at home with Mom/Dad and children who thrive in preschool. Often the children who thrive are children whose parents work full time and they would have been home with an undereducated caregiver any way. In my own life experience, coming from an abusive family and...
I just wanted to add that lying is a sign of individuation. It means that your child no longer thinks that you can see or know everything they do. It is an important part of development that usually occurs around the age of four. I have not experienced lying with my ds, yet. But when I do, I think I'll just say... "I see you washed your hands in the sink." And, if he says, "No, I didn't." I'll say, "Oh, it really looks like you did, let's clean it up...
We are heading out to see "The Gates." And, then go to The Museum of Natural History... ~laurajean
bunny, I think you have to prioritize. If afternoon naps are a necessary part of your day. Then lie on the couch and put a video on for dd. It may not be ideal, but it works. As far as other struggles in your day, just avoid them. As long as dd and ds are not doing anything to harm themselves, others or property... then let it go. What does it hurt if someone doesn't wear pajamas? For all those mamas who are mothers of one child (like myself), either by...
dharmamama, I am very sorry for your recent experiences. It sounds like a group of ignorant parents. As far as letting my child play with an HIV+ child, I am sure he has on occasion. We live in NYC and we frequent many playgrounds and museums throughout the city. He probably comes in contact with many viruses. Whenever a parent puts their child in a group setting, there is a chance that a child in that group has a virus. That's life. When I was a preschool...
Ann Marie, IMHO, you are being totally and completely reasonable! Except, you should quit today, regardless of TTC or your partner's choices. I understand that you have a quit date, but I think you should quit now to show your partner you are completely and utterly serious. You have children, and as you know, it's important to be as healthy as you can for them. Infants are not the only beings that suffer from smoke residue. The problem with the whole forcing...
Your babe is only 5 months old!!! Of course she only wants to be with you. I bet you could take her with you to the Holiday Party. And, as far as everyone else, the sling works well when in-laws do not follow your baby's cues. I always had the sling and just put my baby in there when the going got rough. Or, I proactively showed up with babe in the sling. To be honest, there are going to be different phases when your baby is friendly and unfriendly. It's amazing...
Forget the bottles and formula! I did not have bottles for my ds when he was born and I ditched/refused all formula samples. And, please have a number of a good lactation consultant on hand. In fact, I would meet with one before the baby is born. I would also set up an open appointment for once the baby is here... Good luck, Laura
Ashamed, I nursed my ds until he was 3.5 years old. He and I talked about it for a while. Then we gradually began nursing less. Finally, we got down to twice a day and then once a day. Ten days before his 3.5 year old birthday, we made a paper chain and each day we took a link off. The last link meant "no more nurkies." On that day, we had a 3.5 year old birthday party - we went out to dinner, had a cake, gave presents... My son would have nursed for years and...