or Connect

Posts by laurajean

(1) Which trike do you have? Kettrike Junior (cheapest) (2) Do you think it's worth the investment? Depending on age of child - it's great for children 18 months - 3 years old (3) Anything you don't like about it? the pushbar was hard to use because the wheels do not lock - however, on the kettler models with locking wheels - most children can not get proper leverage to peddle (the seat is too low) (4) Where did you get it? (It looks like on-line purchase will be our...
Intensity too, I could not read all of the posts in this thread. But, I did read a few of yours and I felt empathy for you and your son. When a child is three years old, many professionals do not want to label or diagnose. However, from your description, your son seems to seek out sensory stimulation. For some children, the world does not provide enough tactile stimulation for them. So, there are positive ways for you to provide these experiences: massage,...
Honestly, I do set limits with my ds (3 years old). And, other people's dc as well...I am a preschool teacher. I have no problem setting reasonable and appropriate limits. For example, my job is to keep my child safe, so he is not allowed to cross the street without me. For the most part, I focus my limit setting to situations where someone will get hurt - hitting, pushing, throwing toys/sand at another child/adult, kicking, biting are behaviors that I must try to...
We both pass gas in front of each other. In fact, if I have to pass gas, sometimes I'll seek dh out just so that he can experience the aroma. I have a friend who thinks it is just horrible and ungentlemanly for a dh to pass gas in front of a dw. (But she also sends thank you notes to her close family members for Christmas gifts!!) Too proper for me!! ~Laura
Whisper, Honestly, I am a preschool teacher who does not believe preschool is necessary *unless* both parents have to work or go to school (as in your case). I do not think that children need to be in a group setting to develop social skills - and some children are not ready to be in group settings (which is why so many children are having difficulties and are being evaluated). If you have to be away from your child out of necessity, personally and from what I...
Ravin, If I were you I would hand pump (great skill btw) into a sippy cup and store the cup in a lightweight cooler (you know like a little lunch pack) with an ice pack. When you get home you can refrigerate and then give the cup to the day care the next day. ~Laura
Whisper, I live in NYC, and I am a preschool teacher so my ds goes to my school for free. However, I teach at a school where full time (9:00-3:00) costs $12,800 - there is no break for siblings either. We follow the public school calendar - so parents pay extra for childcare during holidays and summer, early bird and extended day. My son goes to school 3.5 hours a day - those are the hours I work. If I did not have to work for financial reasons (I was a SAHM for...
Absolutely!! And, my ds usually says, "Why is that mama/dada not helping her/his baby?" That usually gets the parent to jump into action. ~Laura
Shonahsmom, It is good to know your limitations. If you really can't handle it tell her. Just be prepared... you may not be able to ask her for babysitting help anymore. And, you may lose a friend. I like the solution of sitting at her house. ~Laura
I had my pizza and salad stolen off my front porch!!! Yup, last week I picked up some lunch then drove home. My ds fell asleep in the car. So, as usual, I had to unload in shifts. I parked in front and put the pizza and salad right in front of my door. Then I carried the little guy up to put him in bed. When I went back down to get my pizza and salad, they were gone...the weird thing was I had already eaten quite a bit of the salad. I guess some one was...