or Connect

Posts by laurajean

pilesoflaundry, Please seek family counseling. I don't know the age of the sibling who taught your son these games is... and I do not know what the games were. However, they sound like they are inappropriate and the behavior your son is exhibiting is inappropriate. It sounds like you need a professional to help you and your children deal with this situation. ~Laura
Mommiska, I think it is pretty normal for children of all ages to not want to clean up. And, it sounds like your daughter felt like she pulled her weight picking up the items the first time around. The signs I would look for regarding empathy are: Does she recognize facial expressions and emotions of others? How does she behave when she sees someone hurt or sad? Does she notice? Does she *try* to help them? Does she ask you or them what is wrong? If she...
ITA with girlndocs!!! Part of learning language and how to communicate is understanding facial expressions and differences in tone of voice. I am not condoning yelling (and it totally does not sound like you yelled), just clarifying. In general, parents are a child's most important teacher. So, in my opinion, it is important for your child to see honest displays of emotion. Remember, doing the complete opposite of your parents is still reacting to your parents. It...
"Yuppie is an acronym for 'Young Upwardly Mobile Professional Person'. The word was coined by the advertising industry to capture the essence of a particular type of work hard, play hard, ambitious minded city career person of either sex. The hectic lifestyle of a yuppie meant that after long hours of work, rare free time was spent in a self indulgent way frittering away the cash earned on anything, from expensive make up and perfume, to a bottle of fine champagne....
kidatheart, I think you are celebrating your choices. Some people do bottle feed using ebm and that is fine for them. However, you decided what is best for your family is to not use bottles. Why not shout it from the rooftops? The statement on your shirt does not condemn others. As an advocacy shirt, it does send the message that it is possible to nourish your babies without bottles. How many people know that is a possibility? How many people hurt their nursing...
I think that most actresses who work a lot in Hollywood are used to not seeing their children. So, it's not that hard. If you don't get used to seeing them 24/7, then it's not a problem. I have heard stories of "attached moms" like Cindy Crawford who had a night nanny so she (Cindy) could sleep through the night. That is very different from my experiences as a mom. I would not be able to sleep if my little guy (3.5 yrs) was not snuggled next to me. Uma, in...
I am torn on this topic. I used to think I was a preschool teacher who did not believe in preschool. However, I had to return to work this year due to financial reasons. I taught 3.5 hours a day and my son went to school 3.5 hours a day (not in my class but in my school). He thrived. And believe me he comes from a very child centered and rich environment filled with books. He loved being in a social group. Of course the school he goes to follows the Bank Street...
I have a lot of good friends from all different times in my life. Some how I manage to keep in touch with them. My sister is one of my best friends - so that is a 30 year friendship. Then my bf from highschool, 17 year friendship. My roomate from college, 14 years. Jasnjakemama - 3 years. Another mama, who I have been close with for about 3 years. My newest friend is a woman I worked with this past year. Then I have a lot of acquaintances. I find that the...
townmouse, You may be interested in this form... http://www.noharmm.org/Noncircform.htm Of course you can alter it to include any information that you choose. And, make sure that you make several copies to have on hand. And, put one in your chart ASAP... Good luck and happy birth, Laura
I don't think there is room for punishment in gentle discipline. And, the type of time out where a child sits by themselves is considered punishment in my book... I do what most others here do, give choices, allow for natural consequences and learning experiences, and talk.... I think that setting appropriate limits and having reasonable expectations are keys to avoiding conflicts. ~Laura