or Connect

Posts by laurajean

A girl from my neighborhood is missing. She boarded the Metro North in Poughkeepsie on February 20th at 8:30 PM. And, she has not been seen since. Her family (who I know of through friends) is worried because the media has seemed to drop the story. So, they are asking to get the word out. Please copy and paste the following website to as many people as you can. The more people who see her face the better. http://findmelissa.com/ Thank you, Laura
MommyCat, I am sorry the people around you are not being supportive. Is there a La Leche Group nearby where you could get the support you need? First, you must know that you are not hurting your baby by breastfeeding. You are giving your baby the best start in life. So, in your case, you may have to make some dietary changes. It will be ok. In the case of excema, there can be many different causes. Your breastmilk is helping your baby build an immune...
I saw "The Passion" last night. I knew it was going to be intense and violent. However, it was also thought provoking - whether based on fact or not. The relationship between mother and son was depicted beautifully - though heart wrenching. The idea of bearing witness is interesting. The question of mob mentality vs individuals who stand up was present. I do not know what Gibson's motives were. However, I do think that this was a provocative movie. And, I do...
One of my favorite Hebrew names is Avital. Traditionally, it is a name for a boy. It means "father of the dew." However, I know of at least one girl named Avital. For a girl, if you chose to use a nickname, it would be Tali. For a boy, Avi. Just an idea, Laura
Breastfeeding - (on demand of course). For me, breastfeeding has been an amazing tool. It helped me to bond with my son. It created a physical connection. It forced me to be emotionally present. It has helped me to heal his physical and emotional wounds. It has helped me to gently discipline him. I carried my son because it made breastfeeding easier. I sleep with my son because I can meet his needs while sleeping. He is now three years old and he is still...
SB, My ds was born tongue tied. We did not clip his frenulum. If you are breastfeeding, often the problem corrects itself. The mechanisms invloved in breastfeeding stretch the frenulum. Breastfeeding was challenging for the first 12 weeks for us and then it remarkably got easier. Then, once his bottom teeth erupted, they naturally and slowly cut the frenulum. His first teeth came through when he was 8 months old. In order to nurse, his tongue needed to...
klothos, I did not bathe my babe either. I rubbed the vernix in. He did not have his first full body wash down for at least a week - and that was only with water. I think that you have gotten a lot of good suggestions. However, I also think it is important to have advocates with you. A strong family member or doula would help make sure that your wishes were respected. ~Laura
darlindeliasmom, Those are some great ideas! I will definitely start implementing today. I especially like the ABC song idea... Thanks, Laura
Hi everyone, I am having a lot of trouble setting limits on nursing. My ds will be Three in 2 weeks and he still nurses all the time and through the night. I am starting to feel resentful and tired!! I have to do something. How do you set limits on nursing? He gets so upset when I say he can not nurse. And, then he needs to be comforted... It's circular. What have all of you wise mother's done? I need help. TIA, Laura
Dear Dad of Orla's baby, I threw up all of the time for the first 13 weeks of pregnancy. It is completely appropriate for some people. I know a few mothers who threw up their whole pregnancies. Although, I do not wish that on Orla, I want you (dad) to be aware of the possibility. For me, stress induced vomitting - so help create a stress-free environment for Orla. Orla, sleep and take care of yourself. I know how hard it is to be hungry. It is all worth it,...