or Connect

Posts by AllyRae

I am so very sorry for your loss.  How completely tragic. :(
Nope.     My DS went to a Montessori school for 3 years, and they were like that for lunches, except on Friday they'd have pizza ordered from Dominoes and I found out one day that they were giving the kids marshmellows at the end of the day as treats (I laid into them about that because my kid would come home angry and hyper from the extra sugar...he was 4, he didn't need a daily marshmellow!)  
I do martial arts 3 times a week (2 evenings and then on Saturday morning).  I also have a once a month book club that happens on a Sunday with the ladies from my martial arts class.  Those are my "me" times (even though the kids also do martial arts, I help in their class and then attend the adult class).  If I didn't have martial arts, I would go insane! :)
I agree...it's very hard to know how you will parent before you do.  It's kind of like the saying "everyone's a perfect parent...and then they have kids."  I was the person who would NEVER homeschool.  I didn't believe it was good for kids and no kid of mine would be homeschooled.   Then after 3 years of private school, I had to pull my autistic child out of school because he was falling behind and being bullied.   All three of my kids are now homeschooled.  You just...
No kidding.  LOL!  We make about that each year, and as a family of 5, we in no way eat at fancy restaurants.  Chipotle is pushing it at times. LOL!  Our kids don't take violin lessons or ride horses (or even have access to any!).  I have no idea about wines.  My kids get their clothes from a consignment store for the most part.  We don't even have a minivan!  LOL!   However, we are fortunate.  We have a house that meets our needs, eat healthy meals daily, and do not want...
We use Rightstart as well.  It is very Montessori-inspired and uses manipulatives a lot, which is perfect for my 8 1/2 year old.  He has asperger's and dyslexia and was very behind in math (before we pulled him out of school, he was over 2 years behind...which is a HUGE deal considering he was a FIRST GRADER).  We used Rightstart for 2nd grade and he's now working at or slightly below grade level in math (so he made almost 3 years of progress in just a year!)  I'm going...
The Lone Gunmen...as in the offshoot of The X-Files?  Uuuuuh, yeah.  I love The X-Files too, but I don't even pretend that Chris Carter has an inside into the workings of the government, and I don't pretend to believe it's real.   Otherwise....better watch those bees eco-people love to try to increase the numbers of.  Remember what happened to dear ole Scully when she got stung?  That poor ole bee was genetically engineered by the government to allow Scully to be abducted...
As you know, we're dairy free.  Honestly, cheese is out if you really really like it.  Almost all of it stinks.  We use daiya cheese, and it's fantastic for cheese, mac & cheese, nachos, etc.  But, if you don't use it to melt, it tastes pretty bad...especially if you're used to cheese).  I've been dairy free for 4 years and gluten free for 8.  Cheese as a snack food is just something that will really not be replacable.  Most of the vegan cheeses are squishy or just odd...
As a SAHM, in our house I am responsible for:   -Most of the cleaning (except DH does the pots & pans and folds laundry)   -Washing and putting away of laundry   -All of the homeschooling, paperwork, testing, notifications, & lesson planning   -Makes and attends all IEP meetings, doctors appointments, therapist appointments, dentist appointments, and eye doctor appointments.   -All meetings with various service providers and coordinating IEP quarterly...
This would irritate me if it were me.  My daughter IS Asian.  My husband and I are not.  Families with adopted children of a different race are really common, so why would ANYONE assume something is up with that?  Obviously, yours isn't an adoption situation, but the fact that transracial adoptions are common should make the situation you experienced very rare.