or Connect

Posts by AllyRae

Also, things like birth certificates can be used to document an event of which one day you will not be around to tell about.  So, what happens if worst case scenario, your husband and you are both in a major car accident and are killed.  What happens to your now orphaned children who have no record of their existence?  They also now have no parent to confirm it.  Whoever cares for them decides school is a better option for them or they need to be on social services...
You never know when your child will see a hospital.  You can't predict catastrophic illness, childhood cancer, or a major injury.  Even if you self-treat for most things, you will never be able to self-treat for leukemia, bacteria resistent staph infections, a severe pnemonia, or traumatic brain injury caused by an accident of fall.    How do you do your taxes without tax credits?  Are you seriously saying you REFUSE tax credits that people take for having children, etc....
Unfortunately, I know a lot of homeschoolers in Ohio who do just this.  They will BS on these things and then find an evaluator that goes along with it.  I am very much a curriculum-based, organized, homeschooler that spends time making sure all the state standards are covered, and our family doesn't seem to fit in with many in the homeschooling community here--many I've met are the unschooling kind who don't even do unschooling in a way that is conducive to learning.  I...
Oh, and the superintendent doesn't approve a curriculum per say .  You can say "I want to teach about animal habitats, age appropriate spelling and handwriting, age appropriate math, life cycles of animals, basic chemistry", etc. It doesn't have to be specific.  I am specific when I do it, but it doesn't necessarily have to be.
No, this isn't true...  You don't have to do the same days.  I homeschool in Ohio and our school year is June through mid-May, taking the entire month of December off.  We do school on some days the PSed schools have a day off, and take off days the PSed schools are in school.  We have to log 900 hours in, but there is no specific schedule that we have to do that on.  (And FWIW, we will have logged 900 hours before March ends, so this year we will log in far more than...
We have 2 children on the spectrum and one with an immune deficiency and food protein allergy.  Other than some really awesome therapists for the two on the spectrum, we go at it alone.  We don't have family in the area, our county's tapped out on respite, and there are no real close friends or anyone to take them for a break.  It's ok for the most part although a break or some additional help would be awesome some days.
Nope, I don't.  Why take the risk for something that isn't necessary.  I pay for my gas at the pump and have absolutely no reason to leave them in the car alone (except in my locked garage with the engine off and the baby monitor on if they're napping.  I also have a remote starter, so I can theoretically leave the car on with the AC or heat on and lock the doors if I have to run in the house real quick for a lost purse but I have a garage so I don't need to do that. )...
I just turned 23 when my first was born.  (I was a couple days from turning 25 when my second was born, 26 when we adopted my third, and 28 when my littlest was born).  
I've done it--I really like it!  You get your manuals (all at once if you pay all at once, or monthly if you don't).  The albums are really good, and Karen is awesome about answering questions!
We loosely use it.  By loosely, I mean that I look at the week in the book, pick and choose what I want to teach (if anything--there are some weeks where the activities are all either above my children's head or just not that interesting to them...that's rare though!).  At first, I was following it strictly, but now, a year later, I kind of use it as inspiration.  For example, a couple weeks ago, the lessons were all on dinosaurs and fossils.  Some of the activities were...