or Connect

Posts by AllyRae

My main concern is that 2 of my 3 kids have significant special needs (which is the primary reason we're homeschooling).  I feel like I have to constantly be on top of their learning issues because I don't want to get through the year and realize my child didn't progress any--that's what happened when we sent him to montessori, and it is really hard playing the 'catchup game' with a special needs child who was not given an appropriate education.
Traditional Montessori starts at 3, so he's a bit young.  If you don't feel good about it, there is absolutely no reason to send him.  For the most part, under 3 in a Montessori program is just basically daycare, not preschool.  There is absolutely no reason a 2 year old needs to be in school (which is why Maria Montessori didn't start them until 3....)  I'd personally hold off another year and wait to start the Children's House cycle at 3. 
We don't vax our youngest (due to an immune deficiency), but we still see the ped yearly for her (and every couple months before she turned 2).  I get a yearly physical to make sure everything's ok, and the same holds true for my children.  The doctor checks for things I wouldn't have thought of or wouldn't have noticed.  Also, because we have a family history of autism, I like getting an outsider's perspective on my children's development just to make sure I haven't...
See, now reading the part about him hating food on her face kind of makes me think it's sibling rivalry now.  How old are your kids?  Is he bothered by anyone else's chewing noises?  Has your toddler just started doing things like walking and perhaps getting into his stuff?  Just seeing someone with food on their face shouldn't result in angst with SPD.  But if there's something bothering him, like his sister getting a lot of attention, him feeling left out, or her...
I hate the sound of chewing too...drives me nuts. :lol:   That being said, if he has problems with any other sort of quietish noises, I'd wonder if perhaps he might have some mild sensory issues.  If not, I'd just think that this is a little quirk.  Is there any way you could put them on opposite sides of the dining room table?  Maybe even allow him to wear some headphones to block the sounds?
I have the level 1 Vietnamese in both the personal edition and the homeschool edition (bought several years apart...the personal edition didn't work on my new computer so I had to buy a new version).  I like the homeschool version a lot...there are a lot of choices on how quickly you move through the program (there is a course for non-readers all the way through people who want to gain fluency).  There are also worksheets and good record keeping.     I only buy one...
I've been using baking soda & apple cider vinegar for shampoo for months, and it's awesome!  Even for my very thick course oily hair, it works far better than shampoos do.
DDCC   Steph, I beg you *not* to do this.  There is a history of stillbirth in our family, and that right there is a good reason *not* to skip kick counts.  I also had to do them with Amelia, and noticing that after taking less than 5 minutes to get to 10 movements every day for months, one day it took over 5 HOURS--we went in to L&D and it turned out she had a heart issue that was going on and needed to be checked out.  Kick counts only take 5 or 10 minutes MAX most of...
OMG, the "good" thing.  Yes.  I got that with both of my two older children--when my son was 2, he would sit in a group, stare at the floor, and stack blocks during entire meetings.  Everyone would comment on how good he was and wished their children were that quiet and good...except my child was "good" because he was a non-verbal autistic child with no social skills and spent entire playgroups stimming and keeping to himself.  We get the good thing a lot with my SM...
Anyone?