or Connect

Posts by AllyRae

Yeah, kind of.... We weren't 6 hours away, but we did drive an hour to adopt our dog we had never met before. Honestly, I think it was a bit of a mistake. He had a limp when we met him, and the "rescuer" (I'm doubting she was really a rescuer at this point) said that he had been walking just fine earlier that day so he must have snagged his toenail or something. The next day, we took him to the vet. Over $500 in x-rays and tests later and we find out he had NEVER...
There are lots of chances for joy and happiness and kid emotions in montessori. Heck, my son has *3* recesses, plus time during meals and snacks where he can be silly and do free play, etc. That, and they don't seem so miserable with the work....they look focused, which is good too.
I banked my son's cord blood....3 years later, I was diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia, which may require a stem cell transplant down the road, so now I'm glad I did!
I'll always wonder for Brandon...whether it was the drugs I had for hyperemesis, or if if it was the pitocin, or what (DS has autism). With DD1, she has reactive attachment disorder, and I know it wasn't my fault (she's adopted and had attachment issues from the beginning). DD2 has selective IgA deficiency and the ped said it's likely inherited, so either DH or I have it in our families somewhere... But it's DS that I'll always wonder about...
I agree...simplify simplify simplify (uh, and that would make it easier for us with food allergies to keep an eye on our kids and make sure they're not eating things they shouldn't since we'll be there too. : ) I'd say maybe 2 meat/main things (like the meatballs & wings), then fruit & veggie trays, and the chips/crackers/etc. Then some cupcakes and drinks. Since you're in Kentucky and August is HOT, I'd skip anything that could spoil/melt (cheeses, cheesecakes,...
Quote: Originally Posted by prothyraia Trying to set guidelines for how the rest of the world relates to your children (aside from basic abuse and human respect issues) is an exercise in futility. Yeah, this. Part of parenting is trying to help your child live in the real world. Sheltering them from things other people do and say is not very helpful to them. People get praised in real life and people praise others to be nice. I...
I'll read it online since I have my homepage set up with various newspaper headlines feeding into it. (or if it's really important, I usually read 200 facebook status updates about it and then actively seek out what the news was. : ).
Oh, and I seem to remember a football player named Barry Sanders when I was a kid...he was fairly small as far as pro football players go, but he was awesome at what he did! He was only 5'8"!
It's so different with all kids too. At 6 months old, my son was 12 lbs...he's now a tiny 39 lb 6 year old. At 6 months old, my dd1 was 14ish pounds...she is now about 33 lbs at 3 years old and is SO strong and muscular. She's been in gymnastics for several years and can do things that kids a couple years older than her can't do because her upper body strength is so great. At 6 months old, you would have thought she was going to be this tiny petite frail thing like my...
Uh, no, no I wouldn't do that. It seems like it would mess up your contacts. If you look at a breastpump bottle after putting your milk in it, the sides are all greasy--I wouldn't want that on my contacts. Ouch!