or Connect

Posts by cileag

Google "Tension releaser vs. tension increaser".  There's a woman who runs the site, Ask Moxie, who has a theory that there are essentially two types of babies---those that release tension through crying or those that increase tension when crying.  Having had one of each, it has helped me quite a bit in creating a sleep rhythm.  My first nursed to sleep for over a year and would go quiet to screaming very quickly. My second would come off the breast to fuss herself to...
I also respectfully agree that, although you have strong feelings about this, her actions have not been enough for me to potentially cause a rift between the two families. You have the most control over the religious views of your child, a book or two from grandma, even attending a service or two (at his choice later on) is most likely going to have little effect on your child. (And clearly her brand of evangelizing doesn't work.) Having a loving grandparent and nurturing...
I don't think I would feel it necessary to have a birth plan with home birth midwives, but in the event of a transfer, here was my birth plan:   We'd like to see the CNMs if we don't risk out. Otherwise, no residents please. Dr. Great with kids for a pediatrician. We don't know the sex of the baby--if possible we'd like Dad to announce it. No thanks, we decline the Hepatitis B vaccine here in the hospital. No thanks, we decline the erythromycin eye ointment. Yes...
For those still looking for more information, one of my favorite sites covered this topic recently, using (with permission) the story that was linked to in this thread. http://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-the-vitamin-k-shot-in-newborns/   I didn't give my girls the vitamin K injection, thinking that I preferred more natural forms, we weren't circumcising (obviously), and they had easy births.  I think I would give it for future children.  The pros and cons are...
I like Lydia--but so does everyone else.  If you're looking for a non-trendy name, you might want to look elsewhere.  It starts with L, is perfectly primed to sound antiquey but not "old", and is currently on the upswing.  It's also popular in the UK, which is often a predictor of rising names for the U.S. http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/lydia   So, if you love it, use it! But if you'll be disappointed if you suddenly see a new crop of Lydias in the news,...
Agree with meepycat! Also, the hospital will likely have its own forms for refusing consent for suggested procedures. We do at my hospital. I agree with the one page form, but would state it even more kindly. I worded it like this: Yes, we are interested in these: (or whatever you want) Hearing screen Newborn screen Breastfeeding help No, thanks, we decline: Vitamin K (unless bruising present) Erythromycin Etc. Also, the jaundice check is not necessarily a blood draw. ...
Gloria LeMay has a lovely article about it: http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/pushing.asp   And it's actually very very common for first time mothers to push for several hours---it can be disheartening to think of it now, but most women feel at least a little bit of an energy surge.  It's also so physiologically normal to get a rest or a break in contractions for a period of half an hour or so right as you get to 10 centimeters or completely dilated.  Your body is...
Keep in mind that with each pregnancy, your abdomen may lose some of its tone, so malpositioned babies are more common the greater number of babies you have---especially early on.  I agree that 19 weeks is way, way to early to be concerned.  That being said, here was my experience with my second.  She was breech at 38.5 weeks and I had to do everything except a ECV (external cephalic version) to get her to turn.  I did head stands in the pools, spinning babies inversions,...
I found most of that setting stuff helpful in early labor, but not active or transition.  I got really sensitive to smells, sound, touch--all the senses basically!  So, keep in mind that you might want to choose things that are easily "gotten rid of".  So a lavender infuser would be out for me because once I got overloaded, it's hard to clear the air, ya know? I had a lavender pillow that I could take in and out of rooms.  And even though pregnancy/birth isn't an illness,...
Double post. Sorry.