or Connect

Posts by lemonapple

Did you try different pushing positions? As one person mentioned, squatting can help to lessen the time!   I pushed for 55 min. with ds, but wow, time flew. I wasn't really able to control whether or not I pushed...I HAD to push...it felt like, if I didn't, then my body was just going to do it for me anyway, and it would feel worse. Sort of like throwing up...where, if you just go with it, then it is quicker AND less...uncomfortable than if you resist and let your...
Is it possible that she's not tired? I guess that children are always changing and developing, is it possible that she's outgrown her bedtime?    If you were to let her get up from the bed, what would she like to do? Would it be reasonable to give her some quiet, alone time in her bedroom until she felt tired? 
Wow, I'm actually SO surprised that i'm the only one who seems to have reservations about hiring a midwife or doula who hadn't given birth herself. I wonder if it's just the folks who are responding to this post or if that's a real indication of general sentiment?    TOTALLY not trying to start something here! lol, I'm really just surprised. If it's true that I'm in the minority, why do you think that is? I wonder if it might have something to do with my opinion on...
This is us as well. We don't believe in marriage...we're committed to each other, but we don't need the legal hassle of GETTING married or whatever to prove that to ourselves, you know? When I had ds, we had to fill out a ridiculous amount of paperwork to get DP on the birth certificate...and...they lost it all. *sigh* SO, we had to refile everything MONTHS later, and to this day, I still have no idea if ds actually has a birth certificate...much less one with his...
Interesting thread.    I just have to add that I find the most criticism and judgement in AP parents. Not that I don't find mainstream parents to be questioning of my parenting decisions, it's just that they're way less vocal, superior-acting, extremist, about where we differ on the parenting sphere. I find that mainstream parents are WAY more open-minded to some AP ideas than most people give them credit. Yes, the friendly mom I spoke to at the park about cosleeping...
Hmmm..that's all really interesting. When I went through my doula training, I was literally the only woman out of a dozen who had actually given birth. Having given birth just 4 months before, I was very birth-obsessed at the time, and I actually remember being a bit bewildered as to how someone would ever think to CHOOSE this sort of work/training without having gone through a birth themselves. It totally baffled me because until I was pregnant, I literally had had zero...
There's something to be said for examining WHY exactly your child would be having these meltdowns purely to antagonize you. I, personally don't think that would be the natural impulse of a child towards it's parent unless the child is feeling as though that is being done to THEM by the parent. So, before taking the advice of disengaging from your child when you see one of these meltdowns coming on, I'd think about what exactly is the problem with them. Is it the crying?...
I'm guessing some part of the lack of desire for gifts has to do with separating a feeling of happiness ect...from the receiving of a material Thing?   We have a similar desire in this family, and for the past two years, we've just plain avoided making much of a to-do about birthdays. No gifts or parties...just a acknowledgement of happy birthday and a special meal.    If I were to host a birthday party for my child, then I would probably just ignore the whole...
  My brother-in-law actually does something similar to what you're describing...he's a perfectly healthy young man with a skill that earns him money whenever he chooses to use it. More than enough money to sustain his single lifestyle. But, he likes to run with the homeless...something a bit weird about that to me...and that can involve begging when he is perfectly capable of getting money or possibly already has accumulated a large quantity from that day's work. It's a...
I completely sympathize! My son has recently become a bit of a screamer himself. He's always been a bit more demanding of getting exactly what he wants (even if that isn't POSSIBLE) than most other kids I see, and lately it's seeming to be every five minutes. And, in much the same way you described...asking for somewhat unrealistic things...like riding the train, or flying across the country, or refusing to believe that a business is closed...or that a park is the...