or Connect

Posts by Soundhunter

Interestingly enough Karen, my child isn't unschooled, but I think I might unschool her BECAUSE she is prone to such behavior. Emma is a very loud boisterous kid who is very very hyper, she really cannot sit still. She is 3. She would require sedatives to stop moving in many circumstances, though she's getting a bit better with age. When she was 2, she woke up every morning to run laps around the house at full speed, and she never stopped except to sleep. She is loud...
That's super cute sweetpeas!
Well, Kohn's writing leaves me thinking that children are extremely fragile and delicate creatures. Wolf's writing leaves me thinking that kids are strong and resilient. These are two big differences I've gathered, though I like both books and have gotten useful info out of both of them. Sometimes I need to remember how fragile my little ones are, and sometimes I need to remember that they are strong and resilient too. I never got out of Wolf's stuff that it's...
Not a homeschooler of a teen, but I'd love it if it was here so that I could easily lurk and see how it all comes together as the kids get older, especially with child led learning which I'm slowly but surely coming to appreciate. I'm sure some of the homescholers of younger kids would feel the same way, we could learn something by reading about what it looks like to homeschool/unschool teenagers.
I just googled flubber, with no idea what the heck that post meant I take it you where referring to this: http://www.preschooleducation.com/rflubber.shtml Which sounds like fun, though the ultimate cat hair magnet in this hair farm Thanks again for all of the posts, many of the words here where very helpful for me to process this, and have better ideas of what to do next time. Thank you!
As for my lack of response, I'm struggling with this as a parent in general, we live on a small island where the social circles are very small. Many people don't intervene when their children are unkind, as they are often non coercive types who let their kids work things out on their own until violence erupts etc (even then, they are often more tolerant than I am personally comfortable with) So, sometimes I feel like I'm over-interfering, other times, I'm not sure what to...
Yes, Emma's only 3 so lotsa folks here don't think we need to worry too much about homechooling, but I'm enthusiastic about it, and plan on doing mostly child led unit studies, I'm getting increasingly comfortable with the unschooling concept and letting her lead the way, and trusting that she will learn what she needs to in order to be who she wants to be. This is relevant at her age because I have opted to not push her to do things that many other kids her age are...
In my minimal experience so far, it pills up and sheds terribly, I had to buy a shaver for it, while my 100% pure wool stuff is weathering far better. I won't use patons merino again for this reason.
We just had a 4.5 day power outage (and were snowed in) and learned how to "live off the grid" in a crash course kind of way, we're on a rural island also, so there was no stores or anything that we could walk to. Somehow, we mostly kept up good spirits, ate well enough and learned that it's a lot of work running a household with a wood burning stove and ice cold water as the only practical amenities. We also learned how exciting it is to have our electricity back ...
We just had a hardcore power outage for 5 DAYS! I was hand washing cloth diapers in ice cold water heating and cooking on our wood burning stove no lights at night other than spare candles And I only yelled once, but at my husband, for being a complainer and bringing me down when I was working my ass off to keep everyone else's spirits up! But I was very patient with Emma under such trying circumstances. So nice to be back online, I must say!