or Connect

Posts by Soundhunter

We had a great day yesterday. Emma's been going to sleep REALLY late recently, as in midnight, but last night she went to sleep at 8:30....and slept until 9 am today. This means I had some down time to read last night, and lots of sleep bodes well for her behavior today. The post partum hormones thing really messed me up with her, I think, though it really began in the last couple of months of pregnancy. I finally am starting to feel normal again. Makes me wonder...
I've been doing really good the past few weeks, I think my post partum hormones are chilling out and Emma's also chilling out, plus I've been meditating and working on mindful living which helps immensely. But....every now and then I still snap for a word or two, then catch mysef and stop and apologize. I'm up for the challenge of a week, because I feel like I can really do it now. How does a challenge work? What happens if we screw up?
Or, you could try the playful parenting approach, find the kid her own stuffed cat and let her squish it and jump on it to her hearts content, even join in with her on rough housing with her own "cat" and turn it into a very fun, giggly game together. Then, spend a lot of time repeatedly, over and over again, showing her how to touch the "real" cat in a way tha the cat likes. I'm also struggling with my 3 yr old these days, but I realize that I often forget how little...
I'm having one of those mornings too
Quote: Originally Posted by Hazelnut This reminds me that I've been meaning to start a thread to help me integrate what I've goten out of Secret of Parenting and Unconditional Parenting. Big fan of Secret of Parenting, and just finished Unconditional Parenting and really enjoyed it, looking forward to this thread
What I got out of the Leidloff article that greatly influenced my parenting with Emma as an infant was that I could go on with my life, and not feel guilty, about not constantly going to an extreme in attachment parenting, where everything was about following her lead. That her watching me cook, clean, visit with people, shop etc was more than adequate stimulation for her as a baby, and not just adequate, but ideal in some circles of thought. And, it worked out just so, I...
Well, whatever your thoughts on CC and power dynamics are, PP definitely promotes giving children power in play, in order to "fill their cups" and promote confidence, and to help them work out issues like with "wonderful games" like throwing the baby down the stairs to cope with baby jealousy (we tried this with a couple of Emma's young friends who also have baby siblings, boy did they think that was a hoot ) This is the part that I've found difficulty with, because...
Quote: Originally Posted by mcs i think that what is missing (at least in my world) is the community of other kids for my dd. mcs I agree with this, if there was a pack of children running around for Emma to run wild with, she wouldn't need my focus as much either, because it wouldn't be my attention to her that was the focus of her existence, nor would she be the focus of mine. The CC's author's theory that got me is that being child centered...
I've been struggling with this dilemna since reading Playful Parenting, honestly. Since our second baby was born three months ago, I've been careful to make sure Emma knows she's still my baby and been extra dedicated to playing with her, in a playful parenting way, playing the games she wants to etc. What I'm finding though is that she is becoming incredibly demanding of me, that it's never enough, and in a previous post I posted that she was even threatening to hit me...
I am so with you mama's...my DD is VERY hyper and loud, and appears to do fine on 8-9 hours of sleep a night....which is kind of a bummer for me and the new baby, because the new baby would sleep from dinner time until the morning (with sleepy night nursings) if her sister wasn't running laps around the house, hooting and hollering, jumping off of things and other rambunctious, extremely noisy play. She's always been very hyper and very loud, and very very physically fast....