or Connect

Posts by Soundhunter

Ack...she did it AGAIN today. So far, I have some tools from you all, counting to 10 (though she'll hit me before that's done), telling her that hands aren't for hitting, some active listening, gently holding her hand (though my guess is, that won't work, but I'm willing to try). Anthony WOlf, an author whose book I like, suggests getting up and walking away and cleaning or keeping myself busy, but when I'm nursing a sleeping baby and I'm very tired myself, this is...
She wasn't hungry or tired, I'd been playing with her all freaking morning while the baby was sleeping, so she shouldn't have been lonely. What she wanted was all of me, exclusivley, RIGHT NOW. But I was nursing a sleepy baby and wasn't willing to jump up to her command, nor would I have been if she'd asked nicer. Angry, yes, because I wouldn't do what she wanted exactly when she wanted me to, funny how I don't generally parent her that way but somehow she's attempting...
DD orders me to do something or stop doing something RIGHT NOW, and if I don't, she says "do this/don't do that right now or I'll hit you". Then, she does. I've tried hugging her. I've tried making light of it. I've tried just walking away. The problem is my own severely abusive childhood in my background, and my impulse to wack the crap out of her in response. I haven't done it. I have gotten very angry at her, which I am right now and driven to post this. I have also...
According to the book "When Anger Hurts Your Kids" typical 4 yr olds are violent when provoked. Most of the 4 yr olds I know are pretty aggressive at times. We're just starting to get there
Emma will also be 3 in september, and I so feel your pain! I asked a parent of grown up children when this phase ends, and he said never, his kids, who are parents themselves, still bug him when he's on the phone
I recently had to do this, but under a different context. My DH's brother and wife are caring for Emma when we go to the hospital to birth our second baby, and we discussed all kinds of things about how we'd like this to go. They are spankers and punishers etc, though we are 100% sure they wouldn't touch Emma, however I was concerned that they might spank their own kids in front of her while she was there, and she's not used to being left with other people, we all...
Quote: Originally Posted by chfriend I don't think there's a book titled Baby and Childcare by Dobson. There is one by Benjamin Spock. Could it be that one? I just searched Amazon and found this Doesn't seem to be a popular book or anything, not even sure it's still in print, maybe someone lent her a copy and it just looks really new.
I'm going to bein your boat in mere weeks from now, so just offering a virtual back pat...I plan on slinging the newborn as much as possible.
My SIL and BIL are spankers, and they are caring for Emma when I go into the hospital to birth her sibling. I'm comfortable enough with SIL and BIL that I told them no spanking/yelling/intense negativity was a condition for Emma staying there, that I think it would be traumatic for Emma to see spanking/harsh punishment and that I'd rather her be with either DH or I when she does see it for the first time so that we are there to help her make sense of however she feels...
Quote: Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen I for one just try to model speaking how I would like to be spoken to as much as humanly possible for me. I agree with this, as much as possible I parent in a "do as I do" way, by modelling to her what we consider to be socially acceptable behavior. When I am correcting her or being coercive and expecting obedience, or expressing disapproval, I strive to do so with a calm, quiet, low voice rather...