or Connect

Posts by daisymommy

FWIW...I have always bought Organic Valley organic butter (1 lb. box--not the green pastured 8oz. package)--because they say that their cows are on pasture a minimum of 2/3 of the time. Then I read about Kerrygold here, and bought some to compare it with. The Organic valley butter was much more dark golden than the Kerrygold, and tasted more "buttery" and flavorful as well. So, I think I'll personally be sticking with that. It's $4.99 a lb. here in the grocery...
I just got my Celtic sea salt in the mail today (LOVE the taste of it by the way! taste like when you go swimming in the ocean ). I noticed that it said on the package it contains trace amounts of iodine, but not enough to specific daily requirements. What!?! I thought that was part of the whole reason for using it! For natural iodine supplementation, to support a healthy thyroid? Now I'm really confused. If not your salt, how do you get iodine in your diet? Edited...
50 years ago, 1 in every 100 children did not have "something wrong with them" mentally. No matter what you want to to call it, even if it *was* called something else back then, and we hypothetically are widening the scope to include more children under the umbrella of autism (I don't believe this, but I'll play devils advocate here)--there simply, no way, no how, were 1 in 100 children with these symptoms. I have friends who are 75 years old who are doctors, know...
Thanks for clearing that up. Bummer on the soaked grains (re: cooking killing the enzymes). I cannot stand fermented carrots (blech!) or kimchi. I do adore yogurt though, and have a bowl most days. Sometimes it's homemade. I think I'll makes some fermented salsa and condiments! http://www.cheeseslave.com/2010/08/0...rmented-salsa/
I wanted to add a few things I came across that I found interesting, and may be helpful to others: Vitamins A & D are in the milk fat. When the fat is removed, the FDA requires that synthetic vitamins be added back in. I think we all know that real-food vitamins are more readily absorbed and used by the body than synthetic (fake) ones. But Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble; that means they cannot be absorbed into the body unless they're taken in with fat. Our bodies...
I'm still learning here, and need all the TF education I can get! I know that fermented veggies and dairy products are for the probiotics/enzymes. But recently I was made aware that there are other foods too, like sourdough bread--right? (or is that a whole other thing and I'm really clueless? ). Does soaked and sprouted grain or dough or batter have any part in this? (I know about the phytic acid issue and digestibility, just wondering if there were enzyme benefits...
Beyond the issue of homogenization, or the possibility of powdered milk being added to low fat milk--if it weren't for those two issues, lets say, what are the benefits to drinking whole milk? Are there nutrients concentrated just in the fat that you lose out on? We're not doing raw milk right now (that's a story for another day). I can get grass-fed, organically raised milk, that is low-temp pasteurized, and non-homogenized, and they sell it in the different fat %...
Hi ladies I dream of becoming a midwife or maybe a doula someday. How soon is mainly dependent upon logistics of my children. How does it all work when you have young children of your own to care for? When your client goes into labor, what do you do with your kids? It's not like a regular job with set hours, I know. I can only imagine having to really quick (which with children is not at all quick, LOL!) hussle them all into the car to drive to the babysitters...
Woodbridge area!
Okay Caroline, cough up your recipe!