or Connect

Posts by ErinYay

Valentine can draw faces.   It's really awesome.                     What are your amazing kids up to?
I'm on the spectrum and I'm hilarious.    
Tangledblue- thank you!   Peony- yes, exactly, you're right. I just need to keep doing what I'm doing, and keep V's challenges in mind while *not* dwelling on them.    Shockingly, I feel much better after a good night's sleep. Weird how that works, huh?   This is the kind of parenting stuff that's so hard for me. The basics? Easy-peasy. But this abstract heart stuff is difficult, and I'm trying my damnedest to keep my head in the now and not think about all...
Oh, also I think I just figured out the answer.   Since socially she's very much like a reserved 1-year-old, and I wouldn't be trying to teach my 12-mo-old to stand up for herself and understand social cues but instead insure that she doesn't get knocked around by the bigger kids, probably I guess, for now, my job is to just keep modelling and talking and practicing, and to keep her safe.   I mean, does that make sense? (Her dad and I talk a lot about friends,...
Her overall social skills are lousy. She's started to ask for food and juice, but is aloof with her dad and me. No calling for us, no seeking comfort, no interaction initiation...   I don't know. We saw the neuro on Tuesday, and I was *so* prepared for him to tell us to buzz off and stop overreacting, but, no. He saw everything and ordered a chromosomal microarray. We see him again in 3 months, and currently she has a congenital hypotonia, speech and language...
I guess I should have mentioned that she very likely has autism and her ability to role play or pretend is close to nonexistent. She is able to imitate when prompted and is very echolalic, but has a speech and language delay as well, so even if I could teach her to say "don't hit me," when she's hit, odds aren't good that a) she'd be able to recall and apply it or b) if she could, she wouldn't be understood because her words are almost all approximations. She gets an...
Hi, mamas. My heart hurts today, a little.   We just got back from a birthday party for an acquaintance's 3-year-old. V is 26-months, and there was a 27-month-old little girl there.   V got screamed at, pushed around, knocked down, etc, and never once blinked an eye, moved away, said a word, or changed her facial expression. She doesn't react at all. I was on her like white on rice, but I had the baby, too, and you know how volatile preschoolers can...
Ditto preschool. We always thought we'd homeschool, but between my own social issues and V's needs, we'll be pushing for her to start in January, right after she turns 3, but we live in a city with a bunch of public preschools that start at 3 (most do start at 4), including public Montessori (which we doubt will be a good fit- V needs 0 structure or 100% structure.)   Since your buddy's over 3, the school district is to provide services, so even if he's too young...
I really feel for you. DD1 is extremely sensory-seeking, and it seems no amount of sensory stuff is enough for her. We have a trampoline station, and huge pillows we pull out in the evenings so she can play Crash, wherein she runs as fast as she can, crashes into the wall, comes back, and crashes into me. For half an hour. Every. Night. And she only weighs 25lbs!   Hang in there.    You've probably read them, but The Out-Of Sync Kid, The Out of Sync Kid Has Fun,...
Being ahead in language and math shouldn't preclude testing, nor a diagnosis. Push the school district, and/or seek out your own evaluations, at the very least an OT eval, as it sounds like at least some of his meltdowns are sensory in nature?   And to answer your first question, no. My kiddo's only 26-months-old, which is such a... pleasant time in a child's life regardless of special needs, so it's extremely easy for me to only feel frustrated at worst and...