or Connect

Posts by ErinYay

We just saw the neuro today for our 26-month-old daughter.   It was about as stressful as a typical checkup- all they did to her was weigh her, take her height and head circ, look in her eyes, and tried (and failed) to get chest sounds. (She wasn't thrilled about that part.)   Otherwise, she played with the toys we brought (new ones she'd not seen before) and wandered around while we answered questions. I took off her socks and shoes so he could see her floppy...
I don't see a problem with that- I do it myself to groups of kids. Someone's throwing dirt at my kid? "Hey, guys. No throwing dirt."    That said, most typical 6-9-yr-olds probably won't take a start-of-summer speech to heart, so you'll be constantly reminding kids anyhow. Just work on clear, concise language with clear consequences for all the kids. "No pushing other kids or you're done for the day." Maybe rotate parents and have a "lifeguard" who can wear a...
You may want to rethink teaching your children to parrot "dismissive" phrases to other kids, particularly special needs kids. I mean, I get that you want your kids to advocate for themselves, which is wonderful, but that's not how you do it.    Simply tell the child, "you may not do xzy. It's not okay, and the others don't like it." Using figures of speech with a child you know to be autistic is a really good way to not actually communicate with that child. You need...
Long story short, I'm your husband. I'm not, of course, but I'm a really, really bad wife.   I have mild AS, and after 3 years of marriage to a very nice, understanding NT man, I've come to the realization that there's no hope of a successful, healthy relationship between us. All of my emotional energy goes to my girls, who are 26-months and 5-months, and there's nothing left over for their dad. Knowing that eventually he'd grow to feel like you do- alienated, alone,...
I'm autistic. I don't have secret emotional needs and it's a struggle to get enough alone time in my head as it is.  It's not like all of us are NT somewhere deep inside. Autism is a pervasive disorder because it impacts every part of a person. Inside my heart of hearts, I'm still autistic and I just want to be in my own head, by myself.   These two books should be extremely helpful, though not all that cheerful as a lot of the advice is to, pretty much, give up on your...
She lost me at the vaccine nonsense, so, you know, immediately.
The emotional needs of aspies/ auties can vary tremendously, of course, but, at least for me, what I need to feel good emotionally is: very, very little.   Pretty much, if you tell me you love me, I assume that to be true until told otherwise. Acts of affection feel smothering, because, yeah, I know. You love me. I get it, now stop pawing at me.   The way I usually explain it is that everyone has a vessel that represents the amount of love/affection/attention,...
I think regardless of the intention of the OP, those kinds of questions don't go over so hot here. All roads lead to Rome, and I bet most, if not all of us SN parents have dealt with family members going back and forth between, "You need to be doing more!" and "You're imagining things, let him/her just be a kid already."    SN parents can't win, and you're likely to see that frustration in replies to such posts. I personally get the feeling that some, not all, posters who...
I appreciate that, but no worries. It's taken me nearly 32 years to get to this level of communication, and feedback can only help me communicate better.   And I think an extended family SN sub-board is a great idea.    
Yeah, I'm kind of a dick. I'm also the autistic mother of two very young children, the eldest of whom is very likely on the spectrum.   The extended family's feelings and entirely valid and important, but a board for support for the actual parents of SN kids isn't really, imo, the best or most appropriate place to deal with those feelings. Most of us have had more than our fair share of "I told you so"s and "you're imagining things" and "it's not so bad" and...