or Connect

Posts by Venia

I type incorrectly as well. I took a formal class in high school and know the proper technique.  However, I choose not to use it because it requires too much effort, is uncomfortable and generally slows me down.  My choice to type improperly has never hindered my career (scientist) or education.     My kids are still young, but I do plan to teach them how to type properly and want them to be able to demonstrate that they can do so when asked.  As far as maintaining...
That is the scientist in me speaking, no apologies here.  Straight 100% biologically/anatomically speaking, a vagina serves the purpose of sexual reproduction.  No conclusions need to be drawn.  Yes, it can be many other things, but the fundamental biological purpose is pretty straight foreword. You could say the same thing about an anus, but no one will argue that its primary role is to release stool. Some folks are not able to use theirs, but that does not change its...
I guess what bugs me about simply using the word vagina to describe the sum of a woman's genitalia is that its basically saying (in anatomical terms)....."boys have a penis, girls have a penis receptacle".  If the question is strictly a one-for-one comparison, "vagina" works, but as a description of the sum of area or only the external area it is entirely inappropriate.    Since society has been evolving from a male-dominated stance, it is no surprise that the term has...
Hello there!  We are nearby!  My kids are still young (eldest 3 1/2), but we have already looked and asked around at our local options.  I did have a hard time finding large groups the further up the hill I looked. However, I recently found a large group called "Folsom Homeschoolers" that is all inclusive http://www.meetup.com/Folsom-Homeschoolers/ . We plan on joining in the fall or sooner as all my DD's friends will be starting at their preschools.   On my hunt I...
We also have an 18 year age gap and have been together for 11+ years!  We have two kiddos together, a 3 yo and a 7 month old.  Our plan from the start was for DH to primarily support us while I was college for my undergrad work, and then I would take over after finishing the first degree and having our first child.  So now he is a SAHD and I work full time and provide all the needed insurance etc.  Despite my envy of DH's time home with the kids and his envy of me...
  Un-Lurking :)  My DD just turned three and we have been very casually working through preschool level topics since she turned two. I am a WOH mom and DH stays home.      I keep finding matching and flash-type cards in the dollar bins at Target.  The flash cards have all sorts of information on the back too.  We do not use them for memorization drills though, just exploration/fun.
I personally would not keep paper encyclopedias in the house regardless of the date. They are not very good "cite-able" resources at all. Maybe recycle them for pictures and paper crafts?
California requires you to file as a private school. Hubby is a Canadian (and therefore so are the kids) so we are the "Maple Leaf Academy".
Have you looked at the Jumpstart 3D World online version? There is a limited version free trial and the full worlds is $8/month. It is FULL of fun activities. You could just activate it for a limited time. My DD is almost 3 and could probably spend hours, days, even weeks and not get through it all.
Quote: Originally Posted by terra-pip wow...did he/she just not tell you at all? That's insane. That is one procedure that I am adamant about being avoided at all costs. Risk of infection. My MW now does do that but she at least mentions and asks if it's wanted. I was naive with my first and trusted my OB 100%. She snuck them in during internals which I *thought* were normal/routine/required. It was not until after the second attempt that I...