or Connect

Posts by buttercup784ever

Quote: Originally Posted by APToddlerMama We use melatonin for our two year old (per neurologist). If you do decide to use it, which I really wouldn't because it isn't perfectly safe, you can use wayyyyyyyy less than most doctors suggest and it will still probably work. Our neuro told us to try 1/2 mg, and we are using 1/10th to 1/20th totally successfully. You have to buy it in liquid form to get it that small. *sigh* Where have you read...
How is it disingenuous? Melatonin has been widely used for years, and I haven't read anything about negative side effects, but if you have I'd like to see that. It's not natural to supplement with anything. It's not natural to eat anything not coming straight out of the ground or freshly slaughtered. This really is a ridiculous conversation. If something is made by nature, THAT is the definition of natural.
http://www.tsa-usa.org/ZNewDiag01/content.html This is a LOOONG video, like 3 hrs, but somewhere in there he explains the difference between a stim, a tic, and a compulsion. The classic stim is hand flapping.
Does he do anything else? Roll his eyes? Make any sort of noise? If not I would say that this is probably not a tic, but a compulsive movement. There was a video on a website on Tourette's syndrome that explained the difference.
Are we going to squabble over the word 'natural'? The body makes it, and it is used by the body to regulate sleep and the circadian rhythm. It's not like anyone's using it for anything other than what the body uses it for. No need to post the wikipedia entry about it since I'm well acquainted with it. I especially enjoyed the fact that the very first sentence of the article used the word 'naturally' so thanks for the laugh. Like I said in my answer above,...
Quote: Originally Posted by NellieKatz I totally understand this. It has happened to us exactly twice. DS was being horrible and unmanageable in the store and I dropped EVERYTHING right where it was, cart & all (sorry, store folks!) and we went to the car, and as I was pulling away, I literally realized what was happening and stopped and went back to the parking lot and said "you don't get to make the family go without food.....we're going to solve this...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamadelbosque daisymommy I agree, 100%. Heck even when I was a kid back in the 80s/90s I didn't know *ANYONE* who was autistic or 'on the spectrum'. In my entire elementary school I can think of one kid who was 'different' - an she was missing part of her arm!! (ok, actually, I remember a couple other kids who lost arms/legs in tractor accidents over the years, but none w/ *mental* issues!!). SOMETHING is weird. SOMETHING is...
My daughter was 10 and my son was 6 when I started leaving them to walk around the block. I always brought my cell phone, and each trip around was maybe 10 minutes. They are now 12 and 8, and I feel pretty comfortable with leaving them for about an hour if I'll be within a 10 min. drive. If I'm going across town or will be gone longer I would feel comfortable leaving them longer if my neighbors were home.
I agree, but I think prioritizing what is important to you and what is important to your dh and then distributing the 'chores' that way is more effective IMO then trying to force him to do something that he is not interested in pursuing. But if your dh is open to the idea, why not let him make up what the routine is? Maybe instead of reading a story (my dh hates doing that) they can work a puzzle or something like that. Also if he has a problem staying in bed, we...
Well I assume that going out is something her DS enjoys doing since he's the one who wanted to go with her. He likes going to the store with mom, then I think he should learn that if he makes it difficult for his mom to bring him with her that he won't go with her. Also I think sitting in the car and waiting for him to roll up the window and get out is passive. OP isn't taking an action which I think is hard for kids to understand. Actually driving him home is a...