or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

I also want to recommend Gavin De Becker's book Protecting the Gift.  My son is 10 now, and I am glad that I read it when he was younger.  I also felt really empowered and I think I was also able to empower him to trust his instincts.  I actually was talking about it with someone this evening. It has also helped me with my own work with with At Risk  Homeless Youth and  I think the knowledge I took from it has helped keep me safe, in situations that could have turned out...
Homeschooled boy 10 - try for 9pm but usually 9:30.  Usually wakes up between 8 and 9 am.  
This is something I had previously posted about with regards to the wimpy kid books. My son is 10. "The book that got my son reading was one that I had not wanted  him to read and I had hidden it away. It was the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Someone had given him a couple of these books when he was five years old.  I had taken a look at it and thought he is way too young, I did not really like the look of it - but I could not bring myself to throw them out.  Instead I hid them...
"My fiance's Wife, their Mother, passed away with little warning 3 1/2 years ago and their maternal grandfather a couple months before that, and they both affected the children greatly, which I'm sure is a major part of my fiance's decision, but still, I disagree."   I think this part is crucial.  You may be right. But it sounds like for your fiance he is not there yet. I think you should respect his wishes for telling his children. It is awkward that your kids know and...
The book that got my son reading was one that I had not wanted  him to read and I had hidden it away. It was the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Someone had given him a couple of these books when he was five years old.  I had taken a look at it and thought he is way too young, I did not really like the look of it - but I could not bring myself to throw them out.  Instead I hid them way up on our bookcase behind some books. Well a few years later when he was 9 1/2 he found them.  He...
We homeschool and reading something like this - is hard to read.   Why do people so often want to put labels on kids.  Your child is so young and is away from home and is just expressing how she is feeling.    I work with young people up to the age of 23 at a youth shelter, I do the intakes, and  almost all of them were diagnosed as ADD or ADHD when they were pre teens or early teens.  After a few years they seemed to "out grow" it. Now these young people may have issues,...
There is this 7 minute exercise that you can google. It is a combination of things like jumping jacks, wall sits, crunches, steps, etc. each for only 30 seconds with 10 second rest in between.  My friend had it on her phone and one day when her and other mom's and kids were over (we homeschool) we decided to do it.  Then another friend had it on her phone  and we ended up doing it outside at a park, while we waited for the kids to finish their  parkour class.  The other...
It does sound like the school is trying to help. I know it's crappy that the kids who are doing the bullying had to do it again by blaming him. But if it wasn't that it would have been something else to bully him over.  So hopefully it will stop,and that the attention from the school, and hopefully their own conscience,  will help them to see the damage this type of behavior can cause.
Wow, I think your daughter did the right thing. She didn't just do nothing about it - she acted.   Hopefully it will stop.  I imagine other people must have been uncomfortable with how this  boy was being treated. It would be great if more people could stand up and let the bullies know that what they are doing is not ok, and that others do  not think it is ok. I also understand how hard it is too speak up, as the fear is you will be the next target. It takes real maturity...
family