or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

I feel for you. I haven't read the other posts but just wanted to chime in. Dealing with aging parents is a hard thing. For 2 years my father used to look after my son one day a week for approx 5 hours while I took a course at university. It was a great arrangement, except that he was really starting to forget things, he had bad eye sight, and after one espisode where he thought he lost his keys and was so full with anxiety that he really couldn't think straight, my...
My son just turned six years old and he is small. He is the size of most four year olds. And yes, he also wears clothes anywhere from 3 up. For me it is hard when it seems that at this age kids care so much about being the biggest, the fastest, etc. He is not in school so it is not a huge deal. But it does bother me. (my own fears) I am only 5 '2, but I am a female - and growing up I found being small for a girl totally acceptable - you know petite. My husband is...
Hi, one other thought. Self care can also include having time with our partners. If you can find someone (whom you trust with their parenting and your kids get along with) maybe someone in your co-op, or maybe later when your dd is a little older, perhaps you can do some ie) saturday night playdates for the kids and and a couple of hours out for you and dh, to have dinner together, go to the movies, go for a walk, or just talk. Then the following week, you would take...
Hi Ksenia, Sending you a wave from down the road in Burnaby. I am also an INFP. This thread is interesting as I see myself in so many of the traits people describe. I started exercising a few years ago at a gym and what energised me was the music I played. I made a tape (it took me hours to record) but I used that same tape for every single work out for at least 6 years. It was as if the music took me out of myself and I really felt great and had a good workout). I...
Aufilia: Second, just a random thing -- I thought it had to be Diet Coke to get the reaction with Alka Seltzer... Maybe you could buy him a can of Diet and a can of regular and let him conduct comparative experiments. Come to think about it, I didn't actually hear any excited comments re:this experiment - perhaps because it wasn't the diet coke. Your idea about the comparative experiments - he would love, love love. A big part of me wants to do this - but part of...
Plummeting: Honestly, I do think it's mean to tell your kid they can't have a food/drink (other than alcohol, obviously) everyone else is having. My parents were like that and I do not look back and think, "Wow. It's so great how they protected me from junk food." No, I never, ever think that. At 30 years old I still think how mean it was for them to tell us we couldn't have the things everyone else was having. This is what I don't want! I always want the relationship...
Hello everyone, wow it is so great to post something and have responses. I really feel that sense of community of caring mothers plodding along on this crazy journey. So first off thank you for your replies. cappuccinosmum.Are you prone to being overly fearful, or just on this issue? You know, I wonder if I am overly fearful. I think if I asked my dh he would probably say yes. I am just not sure. Yesterday, I also freaked when I my husband started cleaning our...
My ds 5 3/4's loves doing science experiments. Today some family came over to help us move downstairs because of some rennovations we are doing. My ds was outside doing his alka seltzer and water rockets. I mentioned that I had heard coke with alka seltzer really sends them flying. (I had not thought my ds had heard me) Later we had ordered pizza for our relatives and it had come with some pop. (I didn't like this as I don't want my son having any pop at this age) My ds...
Hi Ruth, it sounds like you and your daughter have a wonderful relationship. I chuckled when you wrote "We are very attached to our daughter and her thoughts at the present is never to live anywhere than with us. I KNOW that will not happen. "You are going to college with me to make sure I don't drink, right mom"? I chuckle when she says that because she is much to independent to really mean that she is taking me with her to college when she turns 18. I don't want to...
Skueppers "I was thinking about Hold On To Your Kids in the context of this camp question, too. But the conclusion I came to is that because going to camp is by its nature a vacation from regular life, the types of attachment concerns Neufeld writes about are unlikely to occur. Neufeld writes a lot about the competition between parents and peers for the child's primary attachment, and it seems to me that this competition simply can't occur in the camp situation. " ...