or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

Firstly, I agree with your words "that attachment parenting is all about giving your children a solid base from which they can go forth and flourish in the world. Its NOT about permanently binding your children to you so they don't ever go beyond you." Evan and Anna's Mum. (sorry I don't know how to do the quote thing) I also believe that from a healthy attachment children will be able to go forth in the world and have a strong sense of self. I agree that it is not...
So, today I had some thoughts about attachment parenting. I was thinking about Gordon Neufeld and some of his thoughts from his book "Hold on to your Kids." The idea that the attachment between parents and children should be the most important relationships in children's lives. So, I started thinking more about this whole camp situation. At first I thought, well 11 is older then 7 and maybe at that age it would be fine. But the more I think about it the more I am...
Hi Ruth, I never went to camp so I don't have any experience of what it is like to actually go to camp. My little boy is not quite six and at his age I would not feel comfortable with him going away without either me or dh. If he was 7, I would probably still not feel comfortable and the idea of him not being able to call me - would not be ok. I don't know how I will feel when he is 11, but as I am writing, I am thinking that if he wanted to call me - at whatever age -...
Oh, school can be so hard on our beloved children. While I had friends, I always felt less than good enough, and though I thought I enjoyed school - it wasn't until I left and started working that I couldn't believe people were not like they were in highschool; and I began to realize how very hard school was on me. It wasn't until much later on in life that I was able to regain so much of what I had squished down inside of me; so that I could fit in. I think when...
I read your post yesterday and was very touched by your courage and care. Your love and care for children seems to something that is helping you to grow. It is also creating awareness, of the importance of not only standing up for children, but also wanting help for those who may not know better. Thank you. Lesley
Hi, I would love to join in on the thread - it is so exciting to see the title. I am 46 and have a 5 1/2 year old ds. I have had 4 miscarriages since his birth. We are contemplating adopting a slightly older but younger than our boy. We will see. I am loving this mothering journey - the fun and the difficulties. Well, in hindsight (the difficulties). I have a couple of friends around my age with little ones -and I sure appreciate them. Look forward to joining in...
Oh, yes, I hear your sadness. I had my ds 5, just after turning forty. I got married late in life was busy travelling and never really cared about having children. But once I got pregnant, and especially once my ds was born - my world and the way I saw things changed forever. When I read some of the posts about women who do not have children and give pretty bad advice - I very much remember knocking on the door of a neighbour in my apartment who had just had a baby. I...
Way to hang in there. So lovely. My eyes are teary, as I read. Lesley
My heart goes way out to you. I read your post last night and it was on my mind this morning. We have been tentatively looking at the possibility of adoption. I remember reading about attachment problems with adoptees and how when a child acts out it is important to really attach. I think this is also true with the biological child. My son who is now 5 always used my hair as his lovey. Even now, when he goes to sleep he will often reach out and just grab a hold for a...
First of all I am sending you a huge hug, mama. Sounds like it has been challenging and you could really use a rest. It's late here and I am on my way to bed but I wanted to respond to the camping situation. Now I am not sure if was your twins and/or your seven year old who were involved in the little creative adventure. I say this because I am basing my response on my own 5 1/2 year old son and I don't know much about 7 year olds. If I saw my son dragging all of...