or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

I find the bolded last sentence  disturbing.    It actually creeps me out.  It is so hard to say; but I would be very reluctant to have my child around someone who seems to still act the way she did when you were growing up.  It doesn't feel healthy.  I don't know if you have done any counselling around your relationship with her; but this may be a good time.   I do think she needs firm boundaries in knowing how to treat other human beings.  Children can be difficult at...
  Regarding leaving the issues at school and letting the teacher deal with this.  I understand it; but I would be also want to know what she is doing - perhaps from your son; perhaps from her.  From what you posted, little red flags go up for me with this teacher. She may be overworked, exhausted etc. but the comments she seems to be making ie: the parents get an F, and just the way she has handled things so far, and the way you have felt after dealing with her;  I...
I like a lot of what the other posters have written. When I read your post, I felt sad for your child.  I have a seven year old, and we homeschool in a a fairly unschooly way.  What I see with my son and the other kids he hangs out with is that kids are quirky in so many different ways.   And these traits can be quite lovely.  The school system seems to have a hard time with children that don't conform the way they want.  And so, I feel that a lot of children get their...
Hi there, last year my son played t-ball for the first time. There was one little boy on the team who really didn't want to be there. I actually really felt for this kid; it was painful for me to watch him be so down about being there. His father, I think felt ashamed and angry at him; and I guess his dad didn't want to let down the team.  However, he finally accepted that his kid didn't want to be there and they decided to leave.  I was relieved and really glad that his...
I think you have a lot of wisdom in your following quote.  Your boy has a lot of integrity; and it is unfortunate that your school authorities do not seem to recognize that.  I think it is so good for him to have you as his mom.  You get him; and I think it is good that he knows that; and can feel supported.   It sounds like he has learned some great values; these are the kinds of traits (being authentic) that so many of us strive for.      Actually, something else...
Hi Lisa, you know after the comment about spanking your baby, I think I would have to say something.  Perhaps just a simple "Wow, we sure have different parenting philosophy's"  Just enough to let her know that you don't feel the same way.  That way she is free to ask you more if she wants to; but she can realize that you don't agree with hitting your child. 
My son will be eight in three months; and it has been a long time since he has had a "tantrum".  But a couple of days ago, he went skiing for 8 hours with my husband. He was exhausted; but really wanted to go see an old timers NHL hockey game. So they went; and had a great time.  When I picked them up, he accidentally hit his ear on the car door when he was opening it.  He started to cry. Actually to wale. In the car he sounded like a cat in heat  He didn't want to be...
I am sorry that your daughter is having such a hard time.  It is so hard when our children are hurting.  What I would suggest are three things  1) Talk to her. Let he know that you know she did the graffiti and see what she says.  Empathize with her about her feelings of sadness and anger over this friendship.  Also let her know that doing the graffiti is not a good way of dealing with this. This leads into number 2 which is talking to her about how the graffiti is wrong...
It sounds like for her; she really feels like she needs your presence to help her find her way back to her normal state.   It's like she is looking to you to be her rock that will hold her steady.  I think of the analogy of the tree blowing wildly in a storm; but how the ground holds the tree in place.   Perhaps this is an invitation for you to be that grounded place; but for her and for you.  An opportunity to just be with her in the way she needs; but grounded in...
I think a good parenting group or class or therapy could be good.  It can really help give a fresh perspective that may be very helpful when you are feeling so stressed.  I also think it is good that you are doing workouts. What I hear from your post is a real unhappiness with a part of your life which seems to be stemming from your job.  If you are open to it;  I am wondering if there is a way for your to do some kind of meditation group or a spiritual direction type of...