or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

Quote: Originally Posted by Aka mommy First off, your body is not stupid or horrible. You conceived your amazing and beautiful daughter. Your body was living with a disorder, you had no clue about and then when most women who go through what you did die or lose their babies. . . YOU fought through and your beautiful and amazing dd is alive today due to your wonderfully, amazing and strong body; even if it isn't capable of what you demand of it. You...
Quote: Originally Posted by alexsam Its never fun when we think our child is being judged an a "weakness", but what I've come to believe is that my job is not to police the world around him, but to make him able to stand confidently. My job is NOT make this something HE shoud feel ashamed about by not talking about it, not answering honestly or sending the message I am in "defense mode" (because "defending him" means that he needs some defense, and...
I just wanted to write in and say that I really admire you; and that I know this situation sucks. You stood up for your child; when no one else was. I was in a group once where my kid was being hurt; and I didn't have the guts to be honest with them. Instead I just said, we (my ds who was around 2 12 at the time and I ) were going to take a break from the group for a couple of weeks. People were really upset and very hurt and it caused us all a lot of stress. I think...
For your husband; just wanted to mention that the Power to Parent video series that Gordon Neufeld has is suppose to be very good. I haven't seen it; but I know three families who have worked with it and found it very helpful in the way they relate to their children and it changed the way they were disciplining. The information is on the website from the last link I sent. Good-luck.
"Hold on to your kids" by Gordon Neufeld. Great book about the importance of the relationship between parents and children. He also acknowledges the importance of this relationship with the teen years. He has courses, seminars, that also may be of interest. The following website www.gordonneufeld.com/index.php
You are an inspiration; and so is your grandmum. Happy birthday to your dear son.
I want to second what Lynn wrote. My six year old and his friend six and three said to me "you are a rotton egg." I remembered Playful Parenting and said "Oh, you can call me rotton egg, but whatever you do don't call me quackie duckie" Well, that was it. That was probably six months ago, and they still call me quackie duckie. We have had lots of fun with this technique. We have found that if you make it fun - it's amazing how kids...
Thank you everyone for your responses. I feel that having a child, and being part of this mothering group really brings the issue of respecting children to the forefront. Speaking up completely takes me out of my comfort zone, but reading so much on this site -makes it harder and harder not to. Sept15lja wrote:"but definitely a written follow up would be a good idea." You know - I had decided to call in and speak to the woman next week when she is back from...
but I wish I could have done so from a more grounded place and have been able to have offered constructive alternatives. My son was taking a four week little linker golf class. Today was the last class. I had been upset over a time out I witnessed last week; where a young child probably four had been left for twenty minutes on the side line. When the instructor finally went over to him, the child just sobbed. I had wanted to go to the child, but I was pretty sure his...
I often think what gifts children bring to us. How these gifts can often be hard/ not what we want at all/ but they can help us to grow in ways that we may otherwise not. It sounds like your poor husband dealt with his mother by mainly avoiding her. But the revulsion he felt for her that night, she touched your ds leg was not as great as his love for his child. It really is wonderful that this great love - took him out of his comfort zone (of avoidance) and had him...