or Connect

Posts by intentionalmama

Thanks so much for the link. I am so tired of the competition in young kids games. Last week at my ds6 golf class for 4-6 year olds, the instructor suddenly started asking them to see who could putt the farthest and that whoever could do this would win a special pretend ribbon. And that whoever got the most of these ribbons would win something special. I literally saw the kids become more interested in what the other kid was doing instead of just enjoying themselves. ...
[QUOTE=mommy68;14213140].but there are a lot of moments that I treasure with my children. This just isn't one of them. I too treasure the moments when they are not shy about their bodies to a certain extent, but I also treasure the cute things they say and do and how they won't talk cute anymore as they get older, stuff like that, milestone stuff. Of course, children give us so much to treasure. They are our treasures. When I say that I treasure my child being...
Well, I have a recently turned six year old boy; who still loves to be naked. This year at the beach, I got him to wear his underwear, when he wanted to strip down out of his bathing suit. But at home in the back yard on a summer day he loves to be naked. We don't have a back fence so the yard is fairly open to the alley. Last year I remember him riding his bike naked around on the paved part of our property. And, I delight in his freedom and his innocence.. I,...
Quote: Originally Posted by bellflower also maybe i'll start another thread about ways of handling respect issues..... Respect - to me, is such an important thing. A wonderful little book "Connection Parenting" by Pam Leo, is really great with showing how adults can be so disrespectful to kids. It is up to us to model and really try to be respectful with them. Just like when they are younger, are they tired, hungry, did something happen...
I thought about your post last night after I went to bed and I wanted to add one idea that may really help the relationship between your mom and child. If I seem totally off base please just ignore. It seems that your mother is critical not only of your daughter but also of you. Even as an adult you see how painful it can feel to be criticized by someone you love. I think of the diagram of someone pointing a finger at someone and not recognizing the three fingers in...
When I read your post, I kind of feel sorry for your daughter. It sounds like she may feel that she is not good enough or acceptable to your mom because of the comments she has made in the past. I think your mom made a mistake with the napkin. My ds6 would be embarrassed if someone told him to wipe his mouth and I know I would not like someone to hand me a dirty napkin. While not intentional, your mother has been disrespectful to your daughter in the way she has...
[quote=lalemma;14114484] being judgmental, to me, feels sort of like drinking- pleasant at the time, not so great the next day. I have one friend who i am very judgmental of. Frankly, I cannot stand the way she treats her child. But i am a coward and have never really talked to her about it; I think there is a part of me that is really frightened of her getting angry at me. (this sounds lame as i write it but it is what it is) Instead i will debrief with my husband...
[QUOTE=mckennasmomma;14065919] EX A "Your child resists going to bed, first pretending not to hear you announce that it's bedtime, then begging for a few more minutes, then insisting that there's only one last little-bitty thing that needs to be finished, then arguing that it's not fair to have to go to bed so early and finally just refusing in an angry voice." One of us dh or I actually lie down with our son and when he is asleep or relaxed enough we will then get up....
[QUOTE=mjg013;14061484] It's hard as 1 to argue against 35 so if they get particularly hateful, we go home. Since they don't see us that often knowing that we will leave if the talk becomes racially charged tends to curb a lot of it. When I read this part of your quote, I realize I really have no idea how someone could argue for racism. It just seems to be such an ignorant and backward way of thinking that I wonder how people actually can justify their beliefs in...
I love this word "cherish" in the way we relate to our children. How wonderful it is for anyone to feel cherished. For me, it has a sacred quality to it. I feel the time with my child; which can be so encompassing, is also fleeting. It was only yesterday ds was a baby; now he is a wonderful six year old finding his way. My silent deep desire for my child is that throughout his life he will know that it is a good thing he is here and that the world needs what it is...