or Connect

Posts by Crunchy Frog

Whatever the validity of the RCTs may or may not be, there is nothing there that justifies a mass campaign to circumcise neonates in a third world setting.  It might concievably justify circumcising adult men or even adolescents, but not babies.   While it may not be possible to touch the WHO, I would think that it would be very possible to launch a protest against Johns Hopkins and try to publicize what they're involved in and publicly shame them for it.      
From my reading of it, it was a description of very minimally equipped facilities (it talks about how Lidocaine should only be administered if there is access to sterile needles, that sounds poorly equipped to me).  These are facilities that do not have the capacity to do real surgery (under GA) should a major complication develop, and almost certainly don't have the capability to provide a safe blood transfusion in the event of hemorrhage.  It was pretty evident to me...
Is there any kind of activism taking place against this?  I didn't even know about it until someone on another group I'm on found it after doing some googling.  It just seems like such a massive breach of ethics, and something that is going to result in multiple infant deaths, and a major American medical and educational institution is involved in it.  It seems like something that the intactivist community should be at least making an effort to publicize. 
http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241500753_eng.pdf   I don't know if this is the right place to be posting this, but it looks like they are rolling out a campaign to carry out neonatal circumcision in impoverished areas of Sub-Saharan Africa.   Reading through the whole thing it strikes as me as so wrong and unethical on so many different levels.  They are proposing doing this in extremely primitive facilities, many of which do not even have sterile...
I just wanted to say that I have a copy of the AAP guidelines on intact care saved to my hard disk.  This is not a copy of a copy that was posted on an anti-circ site, but one that was posted by the AAP themselves.  It has since become unavailable online; I think they want money to be able to access it.   Anyway, this is a quote which I took directly from that document:   "Most boys will be able to retract their foreskins by the time they are 5 years old, yet others will...
Yes, it is still painful.  And yes, you do see that arguement on other message boards and there is some kernel of truth to it.    It is in fact now standard of care to use some kind of pain control for circumcision, and I would guess that at the current date a majority of newborn circs are done with some kind of pain control.  I believe that even ten years ago the majority were done with no pain control at all.  So this much is true.  The other thing that you see on...
It sounds like this was a situation where some sort of intervention was warranted.  I am so glad that you found a good doctor and were able to go with the the least invasive type of intervention possible, and also that your son is feeling so much better, which is the most important thing.   I think people on this board are so used to hearing about ignorant docs making bogus diagnoses and hair trigger circ reccomendations that we tend to reject out of hand the...
I would really push for the suppositories.  From what I know of the PIO, it is thick oil that is injected directly into a muscle, and the needle is something like a railroad spike.   At my clinic they base the dosage and length of administration on your blood levels.  From what I remember, the placenta begins producing estrogen and progesterone quite early.  I think by around 8 weeks my own production was skyrocketing and they were pretty close to completely weaning.  My...
Wow, what a lot of embryos!  Congratulations.   My twins were a result of FET.  I went through two rounds of IVF in my mid thirties specifically for the purpose of freezing all the embryos and keeping my reproductive options open.  They had been frozen for about 10 years when I did the transfer.  I had a total of 25 embryos from the 2 cycles, frozen at the 2PN stage (that's right after fertilization. The process itself was a piece of cake compared with the IVF.  I...
Just wanted to say that I've been following your story from the beginning and am amazed at your strength. I think that you are going to be able to find some system that works for you, but you will probably have to go somewhat outside of the local EI establishment. Can you do some intensive research into more AP friendly approaches to Early Intervention? I'm certain that there must be more than one philosophy out there. Can you do your own research and then work...