or Connect

Posts by jitterBug mom

I just got my baby his PKU screen today! He is 6 days old and was born at home. I probably would have done it a bit earlier if I could have, but with the holiday weekend I wasn't able to. Our midwives could have done it but we opted to have a clinic do it so it would be covered by our insurance. In hindsight, I kindof wish I'd have just had the midwifes do it, since taking him out of the house in the car seemed more traumatic for him than the heel stick was... There...
I just researched this (but for a HB not a UC). I got the book by Sara Wickham, but in the end I didn't need the shot because my husband was ab- all along. The shot no longer contains themerisol, although there are people who dislike that it is a human blood product. The reason that it is given at 28 weeks is that like 1-2% of women have the bloods mix during pregnancy, and the 28 week shot prevents most of that, whereas the postpartum shot is for bloods mixing at...
Love the Bumpkins. It is so nice that they are waterproof but not stiff or made of icky vinyl. We wash and dry them like any other laundry - or just rinse in the sink if they are only a little dirty. The velcro is still holding up well after more than a year and they take up very little space in a diaper bag. I tried other similar bibs too, including some from Ikea and I liked the Bumpkins best.
If it is just AF and not PG for you, you might want to take calcium/ magnesium supplements after ovulation up until AF comes. I think I had found the dosage on Kellymom but it is supposed to help with supply. I definitely used to get a supply drop after ovulation (and sore nipples) - and it was way worse for my first PP AF than subsequent ones. And yes, the supply would bounce back after AF. When my DS was about 18 months old I got pregnant and it was tough - He was...
Ah, ok, that is a little different if it is a more temporary thing. I was thinking about longer term for parks and schools and such - and the public schools in Brooklyn Center / N. Minneapolis don't have a great reputation either. You might end up finding a nice enough place to rent though for short term, and if you stick to the far north part of north Minneapolis you would do better than the more southern part of north Minneapolis I think. Kind of where you were already...
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. As usual it is just so nice to hear that there are other people that have gone through this. I'm going to think over some of these ideas and make a "game plan" with my DH. I think one of our problems has been that we will try something and then cave after a day or so, which probably does more harm than just sticking it out once we have started down that road. Reintroducing nursing once the new baby arrives is an...
lol, I don't know about the bachelorette party part of it.. but I'll tell you some places that I think are fun around there. Are you looking to drink I assume? Or did you want restaurant info? Grumpy's Bar on Washington - kind of a punk rock/ hipster place with karaoke some nights. Town Hall Brewery - a little farther down Washington Ave... a beer brew pub. Neither are upscale but I like both for hanging out/ drinks. Now there is a Grandmas bar near there that is...
Are you trying to find a place near an employer? Is there a reason you are looking in the north Minneapolis or Brooklyn Park/ Brooklyn Center area? Or is cost your major factor? I guess it is hard to say without knowing your reasons, but those areas would not be on the top of my list (especially for renting) due to crime, slumlords, lack of good restaurants, food coops etc. And I've lived and worked up there... There are some nicer pockets of neighborhoods of course...
It differs state to state. In MN it is my understanding that CNMs have to abide by certain rules for licensure (though they don't have to work with an OB). Some of these rules might include things like not birthing babies under 37 weeks or over 42 weeks. If I were you I'd interview both kinds .. ask both kinds about specifics of their training & experiences, and ask the CNMs what kind of restrictions they might be under. Also, ask the CNMs why they prefer homebirth to...
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice, especially from those who have bottle weaned a toddler in a gentle manner. At around 18 months of age, my DS nightweaned and transitioned from family bed into toddler bed. However, it was partly due to my loss of supply from being pregnant, and so we would give him a bottle of milk when he went to sleep to fulfill his sucking needs (he did end up fully weaning). Aside from needing the bottle, he transitioned very easily and started sttn...