or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

LL Bean, Lands End, and Hanna Andersson all have really cute knit dresses.  That's what we do along with tights and leggings for winter.  DD seems to play really well in them.
Until this Fall we've never done a circle time because dd was not open to that at all (she used to get very upset if she wasn't the one to lead things).  With kindy this fall I was going to try and do a circle.  This is what I had in mind for us:   Gathering Song  Opening Song (Glory Be to God, Waldorf tune) Opening Verse (for us this is a prayerful verse, as we are Christian) A Seasonal Circle song I made up called "The Year Goes Round and Round" Flannel...
I'm not sure how much of early development is environmentally-related and how much is genetic and just "normal" because we have better nutrition.   I started getting breast buds at age 10, developed pubic and arm hair around the same time, and my period started right when I turned 11.  I think I was on the early side but most girls that I knew started somewhere between 11 and 13.  I think the big thing is really just to discuss how to deal with hygiene and basic body...
The few things I've bought for dd through LL Bean have held up really well.  I've done both jeans and coats, and I have been really impressed.
Speaking of buying kids' clothes, I just listed dd's LL Bean snowsuit from this past winter here in the classifieds.  It's really in like new condition.  I thought I'd put in a blurb here while on the topic of buying second-hand clothes, and it would really help me out to afford this year's Fall/Winter/Spring clothes.  Thanks.   Link: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1324344/like-new-l-l-bean-snowsuit-size-5-6-unisex-green
  For sale:   LL Bean snowsuit.  Though my daughter wore this last winter it is in almost-new condition with no visible wear.  This is a 2-piece set, consisting of bib pants and a thick, hooded parka which can be worn separately as a winter coat apart from the snowsuit.  It has been washed with hypoallergenic detergent (color-free, dye-free, fragrance-free) and just hanging in the closet since March, so it is ready for immediate wear this...
We are Waldorf-inspired homeschoolers with an undercurrent of unschooling.  We're about to start kindy this year and are definitely on a typical Waldorf trajectory at the moment, but this may somewhat shift later.  I love Waldorf for the younger years--I have found rhythm, simplified/old-fashioned-style living, and integrating the arts in education to really enrich our family life.  For the older years?  I don't know yet.  I like a lot of what I see in Sonlight, so I...
This is our situation, too.  We have no one to get hand-me-downs from, and though I have looked at second-hand shops around here, I have never been impressed--they charge a lot for cheap stuff that is already falling apart.  I also just don't have time to constantly check up on these shops (they are not nearby, and we only have one car so weekends are the ONLY time I can do errands, and even then I'd rather be doing something else).  I keep toying with Hanna Andersson...
HUGS!   We have moved a lot with our family and live thousands of miles away from extended family (well, all except my parents).  Being so far away from family is so difficult, and that combined with the stresses of everyday living, plus a new baby, new job ... I'm not surprised you're overwhelmed!   Quite honestly, I feel overwhelmed a lot myself at times.  I have one child but she has always been high needs.  Things that have helped me:  One activity a week...
Now that I'm trying to get together dd's fall/winter wardrobe, I'm wondering what other moms here do.  Dd is 5.5 but tall, so she's about to go into size 7 clothes.  I'm looking for clothes that are cotton/knit and easy to put on and off.  In the past I've bought Gymboree, Carters, Osh Kosh, but I've recently felt that Gymboree is getting more prep-kid looking, and Carter's stuff and Osh Kosh aren't as cute as I'd like.  We don't do any character clothing, and I like it...