or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

I agree with other posters about letting kids at this age freely experiment with materials.  One thing we've done is to keep easel paper taped in our hallway for spontaneous drawing.  We did this originally when dd was 1 and wanted to draw on the walls; rather than constantly have to say, "Stop!", we thought we'd just make it safe for her to do.  We buy Melissa and Doug easel paper rolls and tape them 3 sheets in height on the wall so dd can draw as much as she wants....
LOVE!  Thanks!  
 Yes, this.    Dd is 5.5 and even through my best efforts sometimes she's just going through emotional turmoil herself with all the growing up that she's doing, and that is reflected in her behavior.  Usually, if we're going through behavioral issues I first evaluate how I'm parenting to see if that helps--making sleep a priority, evaluating our diet, etc.  I guess what I'm saying is that I don't necessarily use behavior to confirm my parenting but rather as a gauge to...
Dd (age 5.5) has never attended a preschool and we are media-free so we never had to deal with TV shows force-feeding expectations of "school" to dd.  These two things have helped quite a bit since "school" is not really a "cool" idea to her.  She knows she has friends who will be starting kindy at a school building this Fall, and we have played at school playgrounds many times.  In fact, we just celebrated dd's 5.5 birthday with some of her friends at a school...
I have a dd who is 5.5 and sounds quite similar.   I have never done a formal pre-K curriculum with her but rather have just sought having a very involved sort of homelife.  To me, you can feel when your child is stressed--erratic and difficult behaviors, verbal cues, poor sleep.  I think some children are just more serious and introverted than others, and my child is one of these.  She doesn't play in the ways a lot of her friends play. Instead of acting out things with...
I found this link for a homemade calendar that I'm think of adapting for us.  I think we'll just use thick cardstock and not do the foam, and instead of a painting or drawing we may collect things on our nature walks to glue onto the page for each month.  We may actually do a painting and then glue the nature bits on top of it.  I'm still thinking it through, but thought I'd post this in case anyone else wanted to do something like...
I have Barbara Dewey's Form Drawing book and don't really care for it.  I think one my purchases this year will be the one from Christopherus.  From what I've heard with Christopherus is that it is more laid out but also more dry than Enki, which may or may not work for you.  I think overall it is a very good program and a lot more detailed than others like A Little Garden Flower, but not as culturally rich as Enki.  However, for the price, from what I've seen and heard...
I previewed Live Ed grade 1 and did not like it.  The instructions were very vague and ethereal, which wasn't what I was looking for.  I am definitely leaning toward Enki.  Everything I have heard about it has been stellar.
Has anyone ever used their resources?  I was thumbing through their catalogue I got in the mail yesterday and was intrigued.  I really liked their critical thinking activities, the math analogies, and riddles.  I also thought their Language Arts books looked fun.  Experiences?
A few other resources that I remembered:   http://www.amazon.com/All-Year-Round-Lifeways-Druitt/dp/1869890477/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305852282&sr=1-1    http://www.amazon.com/Childrens-Year-Seasonal-Festivals-Hawthorn/dp/1903458595/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305853111&sr=1-3    This says "for toddlers" but it is a great resource in general for kids' toys.  Lots of timelss ideas....