or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

These are adorable!  Definitely going to make something similar for my dd.  Thanks for posting!
Oh, I forgot:  There is a book called What is a Waldorf Kindergarten.  I like it so-so.  The pictures in it are very helpful and many of the articles are helpful.  What I have objected to is the Anthroposophical judgment, like, for instance, the passive-aggressive remark that modeling beeswax is far more creative and soothing than endless hours of "Lego play," which is referred to with disdain.  If you've got a little extra in your budget, I'd recommend getting this, but...
Hi, Greenmama.  I'll just stalk you in both places, if that's okay. :)  We're are heavily Waldorf-influenced but not totally purist, which I find rather too dogmatic and stifling for us, especially with dd's giftedness.   The hard thing with Waldorf kindy is that most Waldorf homeschooling resources are very vague for this age group since there aren't any particular lessons or things one is supposed to do like in the grades.  Christopherus, I think, just updated...
The only reason I can think of is that some of the songs contain harmony and rounds, which would be inappropriate for a young child, but you could easily leave those out.  Most of the songs are very simple melodies.  I think many times Waldorf overdoes the "protection" factor.  My plan is not to use every song in the book for kindy but keep this as a resource for years to come--if that helps clarify a bit.  I think overall it's a good resource for simple but lovely...
I didn't start consistent painting with dd until she was 3.    At age 2 we occasionally did fingerpainting but even if I did not intend it to be fingerpainting it always ended up being fingerpainting in the end (and body painting too).  To be honest, I'd wait.  I think playing with color is great but I wouldn't fork out serious money yet.  You could do lots of things like mix tempera paint with shaving cream, or even let your child paint the bathtub with washable tempera...
Little Acorn Learning is primarily for stories and crafts. We also have some Enki kindy stories that I'd like to work in some way, but I haven't figured out how yet. I have the Waldorf songbook http://www.amazon.com/Waldorf-Song-Book-Brien-Masters/dp/0863150594/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305562213&sr=1-1, and the Singing Year http://www.amazon.com/Singing-Year-Festivals-Hawthorn-Press/dp/1903458390/ref=pd_sim_b_13. to work on for building up a good repertiore...
I got one for $6 at a used bookstore and I think I overpaid.  This book has nice trappings--lovely watercolor paintings, thick paper, a ribbon for marking spots.  With that said, I haven't used it much.  I think you are much better off with Enki kindergarten, Little Acorn Learning, or one of the Wynestones seasonal verse books.
This doesn't have gentler lines, but what we did that was easy was set up a card table and cover it in hand-knitted baby blankets.  Inside, we put blankets on the floor along with a sheepskin rug and soft pillow.  When dd is sick now (she's 5.5) she still takes a nap in there.  We call it her "hideout".  The upside is that it was very cheap, can be taken down and reused as a card table, and it is just the right amount of enclosure for her since you can see through the...
Thanks for the opinions.  I'm definitely worried about implementing it all but it sounds like you really need the foundation guides for that.  We already live a very Waldorf-style life, so I hope that will help make things a little easier.   Nicholas' Mom:  How do you feel about the rigors of Enki, I mean academically?  I love the depth but I worry that it isn't enough in math.  I don't know, though.  What has been your experience?  I don't mind story math for grade...
Actually I had never heard of masturbation until I was an adult, and I never did it.  Although, common, I don't think this is instinctive for all people and for us personally it violates our religious ethics.   As for nose-picking--I think wanting your nose to feel "right" is natural and there are many means to that end.  I tell dd that the best thing is to use a tissue but if you don't have one available, you can clean your nose with your fingers but wash them afterward...