or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

Our daughter is 6.5 and we're expecting a new little one (due this Thursday, actually) and we've been experiencing some of this, as well.  For our dd, it is less sassiness than it is just being sensitive and not willing to forgive and wanting to debate everything--"Why did you say *this* instead of *this*?"  She also is really struggling with not always being right or knowing everything.  From what I can tell, this is very normal for this age--it's the shift between...
We flew with our daughter around that age, and here are things that worked for her:  sticker activities, pages for drawing and a new set of markers, Jacob's ladder, finger puppets, new read-aloud books (especially interactive, lift-the-flap varieties), clay or playdough, some small Playmobil sets, small shape magnets and magnetic board for making pictures, chalk and small chalkboard, magnadoodle ... it's been a while but that's the best I can remember.  I hope your trip...
In regard to the OP:   My child is a very private sort of person so literally one day she woke up and wanted to read something to me--and she did!  I was surprised.  I really didn't know how far along she was at that point.  For her, reading followed writing (which is actually the way Waldorf does it anyway, so it fit very well for us).  She loves to write notes and would ask how to spell words and such.  I also have been reading aloud to her since she was a small...
We order Puzzle Buzz from Highlights for our daughter (6.5) and she loves it.  It has lots of various puzzles and games and sticker activities.  What about a sketch book with various drawing media, modeling clay, geoboards and strings, an origami book with paper, ThinkFun games (like Rush Hour, Shape-by-Shape), Set ... ?  My daughter loves to draw and make crafts herself, so white cardstock, scissors, glue, and markers can keep her occupied for an hour.
  Our daughter recently lost her first tooth and we decided to do a charm bracelet to commemorate it.  We gave her the bracelet and her first charm (a silver tooth!) and will add a charm for each lost tooth thereafter.  We also put her tooth in a little bag with the date and how she lost it and then placed it in a small silver trinket box for safe-keeping.  We're expecting a boy now, and I'm not sure how we'll adapt this for him (maybe shark teeth on a necklace instead of...
  Well, at our house it isn't acceptable.  We all strip down in front of each other inside if it's hot, but when we're out in public we all cover up, including dh.  When our daughter has asked why others don't do whatever we do, my response is always that people sometimes have different ideas but this is what we think is best.  Sometimes we've also talked about cultural rules and norms, like why most boys don't wear pink or dresses.  I try not to attach a value judgment...
I've actually been really pleased with how things have gone for us (we're about to start on our second year of hs-ing, so we're still pretty new at it).  One thing that has really helped me is The Parenting Passageway blog, which focuses on developing an enriching family culture and knowing what things are age and developmentally-appropriate.  Also, lots of good Waldorf-inspired art and craft projects, which I've found are superior and richer than many children's...
I'm sorry it was a bad experience.  I would be livid, too, and would have spoken directly with the teacher about it.  We are starting our daughter (age 6.5) in classical ballet this fall.  I researched ballet companies until I found one that fit our philosophy and that didn't offer a jazz or modern option (I dislike many of those kinds of dances for the reasons you listed).  Maybe let your daughter have a break for a while, or put her in a different type of dance class....
Is Little Passports through Highlights or is that a different thing?  (I remember they have some sort of "travel the world" discovery series that I got an ad for, but I can't recall the name.)
Thanks so much for the suggestions.  Part of the issue is that I'm not sure what she can or can't read because she is very quiet and private about that.  All I know is that she's breezed through Little Bear and Frog and Toad and seems to be able to read almost anything I put in front of her.  I want something in between Frog and Toad and something more advanced like Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, if that makes sense.     Does anyone like the Magic Treehouse series?  I've heard...