or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

We are Waldorf-inspired so we do tons of art handwork.  For good watercolors, water down tempera paint and put it in small jars with lids.  I use Crayola as it is the only brand I found with the least amount of smell.  It works as well as Stockmar and is so much cheaper.  Watercolor crayons are also lots of fun, as is modeling clay (I hate modeling beeswax, personally).  I shop at Michael's and order through Amazon.  I buy the Creatology Paint Pads from Michael's for...
How emotionally sensitive are your children?  I was the ultra-sensitive child growing up who had terrible performance anxiety, so the "strict" piano teachers I had were a terrible fit and I hated piano lessons for years after I stopped taking.  When I was older I started taking from a younger lady who, though much more happy and relaxed, really helped me feel comfortable playing and I was much less anxious about pleasing and doing it "right" and more concerned about...
Dd will be starting grade 1 this Fall and one thing I mentioned to her that she seemed rather keen on was having a quiet reading time where she can read her own books from the library.  So, to that end, I'm wanting some lists of good books and/or book series that would be fun for a very sensitive 6.75-year-old girl.  She can read quite well--as in, she's beyond "The fat cat sat on the mat" kind of story--but she's very sensitive as to content.  She likes fantasy/fairy...
I think the fine motor skills of writing and drawing are intimately related so one thing we will be doing this year in grade 1 is making a Waldorf-style hidden-letter fairy tale book.  After reading a short fairy tale we will draw a picture and do a short piece of copywork.  On one page we will do a hidden-letter picture (like where the M is hidden in the shape of a mountain range) and then do a form drawing border to help with concentration and fluidity.  On the facing...
My child is 6.5 and has never been to a preschool or had any structured classes or activities.  Actually, she's never been away from me unless you count being with other adults whom she trusts and knows well like my parents.  And you know what?  She's much more emotionally secure and academically well-rounded than her friends who have done the whole preschool-since-age-2 thing with a billion out of home activities afterward.  The children we know are so very stressed and...
Back to the OP, I think what is at issue is more a reaction to being uncomfortable around a different culture than a racial one.  I grew up in the American south and was immersed with lots of different races early on.  What I found was that not all people of one race have the same culture.  Those with cultures/backgrounds similar to mine were easy to get along with; those that were not were difficult because we had very little common experience and lots of cultural-based...
Some kids are not toy people.  My daughter is one of those.  She played far more with plastic bathroom cups at that age than anything "toyish".  At 10 months I wouldn't worry at all about toys, to be honest.  I'd go for sensory experiences.  Buy different fabric scraps with different textures for feeling; get a bowl with rice and let him spoon and play; go outside a lot and let him crawl around and see the world; blow bubbles; do water play in the sink or tub; play games...
We start our homeschooling when the pool closes and stop when the pool opens, LOL.  I have no intention of formally homeschooling year-round because I think we all need breaks and have lots of time to just have fun and relax, plus I think dd would dislike doing our homeschool while all her friends are on summer break, even though she loves what we do.  The public school here just ended yesterday and it starts back at the end of August.  We ended the Friday before...
I would personally censor.  We don't even subscribe to a print newspaper for that reason.  
At 2 I would honestly not be thinking about a curriculum, just do lots of outdoor time, reading, and playing.  If you want to be more structured, you could plan a special activity for each day of the week like Mondays you could act out a puppet show with stuffed animals (just something simple reflecting the seasons), Tuesdays you could do sensory play with playdough or rice or something, Wednesdays you could do a special song with motions, Thursdays you could...