or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

Clay modeling, stickers, Legos, beadwork (beads string great on pipe cleaners), embroidery ... Will he do art/crafts if you are doing it together?  I ask because dd always does better when I craft/draw with her.  What if you got him bathtub crayons and let him draw/write on your bathroom mirrors or windows?  I've done this with dd and the steam from a shower is all I need to moisten it to wipe it off.  Also, what about shaving cream in the bathtub for drawing pictures?
Well, I'm essentially adding a main lesson component each day to our circle time.  We aren't doing Waldorf lesson blocks (like the weekly ones you hear about) but rather one lesson per day and one handwork, with lesson repeats during the week.  So, for example, language arts (fairy tales, intro to spelling and grammar) will be on Monday and Friday, Math on Tuesday and Thursday, and Nature on Wednesday.  We'll do our regular circle that we've been doing in kindy which...
I love the idea of a Friday night poetry session.  I'm filing that one away.     We do have the Wise Enchanter.  I may do it at the end of the year because dd is really sensitive to scary stuff and there is a scary element in it.   I got the OM book yesterday and am pleased with it.  It looks like they only include capital letter drawings in their fairy tale book but both in the curriculum.  That's fine, though, but I wish they had been more clear in their...
I have a few extra minutes and wanted to give you a quick run-down on all Waldorf curricula I've looked at:   ALGF:  inexpensive but most of the book is devoted to what Waldorf is, who Steiner is, what rhythm is.  The second half of the book has stories and a day-by-day layout, but essentially it's Grimms fairy tales along with a few other books you have to buy.  The hidden letter drawings are simple and black-and-white, and there is very little discussion of...
It's funny how different opinions can be--we have the full set of fairy/nature/fable tales from Enki for kindy and I find them very boring and they do not meet my child's emotional needs.  I got them used and I'm glad I did because I would have been really ticked.  So many people love Enki, though ... I just guess it doesn't fit for us.  I think they have samples on their website if that helps.
OM was having a 20% sale this week so I thought I may as well go ahead ... but I'm so relieved that the pictures are included in that book because I was really starting to worry.  Dd (6) is already reading and such but I love the Waldorf hidden letter pictures with fairy tales, so I wanted to do that to "live" more deeply into the letters.  Thanks for your thoughts on the OM gr. 1 stories.  I'm ordering a Grimm's book separately so we can change up if needed, but I do...
Oh, wow.  Thank you!  I hate to put you to the trouble of listing all the stories--can you just list a few so I can get a feel?  Also, what have been your thoughts about the quality of the stories?
Thanks.  I have looked at Earthschooling but I don't really care for her approach to letters.  I'm sure from a logistical standpoint its easier--her approach is draw letters on a page and have your child turn them into something.  I went ahead and ordered the OM fairy tales book to see.  I'll update once I know in case anyone else is curious.
 Well, phooey.  The sample looked really good.  Can you elaborate on why you didn't like it and thought it a waste?  I want something with basic grammar info and colorful pictures.  
We have a 6 year old dd right now and will have a newborn when she's in grade 1 in the fall.  I'm looking at these things: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1346568/looking-to-next-year#post_16901041.  I really like to assemble my own curriculum so I'll be adapting our Little Acorn Learning kindy circle to fit better with grade 1.  We will not be doing weekly lesson blocks (Waldorf-style) but will do 1 subject with 1 handwork per day along with circle (but we'll...