or Connect

Posts by LuxPerpetua

My dd has had food sensory issues and she occasionally relapses, although she does much better now. Until she was 3 we did half and half most of the time--half of her plate would have the food we were eating and half a food I knew she'd eat. Now she mostly eats whatever we do but if she opts not to then she gets cheese and vegetables and fruit. As for the antagonism toward "toddler food" may I humbly suggest that not all of those options are unhealthy? Many of those...
Your post sounds so much like my life when dd was at that age! For us it got better around 18 months because dd was finally at the age that she could stay at my parents for an hour while dh and I went out to dinner or saw a movie or something. From there it has slowly gotten more freeing. Dh and I still feel very isolated from other adults (even parents) because dd needs our constant attention. What has helped for me was 1) just accepting that this is how our life is...
I prefer the word "rhythm" to "routine" personally because it sounds more flexible to me for some reason. I think some children thrive on more structure than others but that it's important to in general have the same basic rhythm through the day, and explain when things are going to be done differently so that the child is aware. I also think some times should be more structured than others (for instance, bedtime routine is more consistent in our house than snack time)....
DD is only 3.5 so I don't usually get any hostile stares or anything while out and about during the day (although I have had various people ask if she goes to preschool). In general I've found our community to be fairly child-friendly (we've only lived here for 8 months). We have a huge nature park right down the road from us and also a community park complete with a community center and library as well as playground. Also right down the road there is some sort of...
I totally agree about summer being the busiest time! We're currently watching our small pot garden grow (and hoping for veggies!). Later this summer we're taking a vacation and we swim, visit parks, play around the lake, go to the zoo, visit the Children's Museum, have picnics outside, fly kites, etc. Fun times. Right now we have a morning dove roosting near our apartment so we're looking forward to some baby birds soon. The geese near we live are currently in the...
Ooh, good idea! I'll try those! I understand about your dh being disappointed. We've been on a butter-making kick lately and poor dh has yet to be able to do it and he's been so sad about that. It seems like something always comes up whenever we plan to do it as a family.
Have you read any of Dr. Sears' parenting or discipline books? If not, I'd highly recommend "The Discipline Book" (vague title, eh? ) and "The Successful Child." Sears and his wife are both Christians and are a good alternative to the punitive Christian radicals. My dh and I are both strong Christians and feel that being both into AP and Gentle Discipline are absolutely in line with our faith. We also practice Consensual Living and are Alfie Kohn advocates (have you...
At your child's age, I was absolutely against homeschooling as was dh. And then, dd grew and we both were just amazed at how much she learned just living life. We also got to know dd better and realized that her spirit is persistent yet sensitive (she loves to learn things but her feelings can be hurt easily) and we worried about how teachers might treat her (one of our main reasons for rejecting any type of preschool). She's also highly gifted and develops at different...
This thread is reassuring, as we are having the same issue with dd always asking for a diaper to poop. I've just decided to wait it out (it can't last forever, can it?), as I don't know what else to do.
We always just use the sand from Toys R Us but . . . Another idea: Our children's museum uses round birdseed instead of sand and kids love it. Just a thought