or Connect

Posts by ~Sarah~

She can also contact the Charleston Birth Place and they can help her find some low-income low-cost classes and/or doulas. They're awesome there.
I think our opinions matter much less than a thorough vetting process (inquiring about licenses, background checks, policies, standards, history, philosophy of discipline, etc) and your own gut instinct about the people themselves. If you really want to be comfortable with any kind of childcare situation, there's a lot of great information on how to choose babysitters in the book Protecting The Gift by Gavin de Becker. It's a must-read for every parent; do it early,...
I absolutely relate to this. DD is in the thick of that "early development" stuff, and while I managed to really not care about how late she "achieved" her milestones for the first 9 months or so, I started really thinking and worrying about them when she became a later-side crawler. Now it's becoming an issue for me, for probably many of the same reasons as you----it has me thinking about "what if she's not as smart as I expected her to be?" I've realized lately that...
Quote: Originally Posted by carfreemama Probably time to read The Gift; from what I understand, it's likely a good fit for our family. I highly encourage this. You might look at that kind of situation a little differently afterwards. Maybe not---only you know the vibe you got or didn't get, and it's impossible for us to judge without having been in the situation. But the behavior is a great opportunity to teach her how people try to gain our...
Phew, glad to hear some of these responses! DD is exactly the same age as the OP's and never mimics either. Nothing. (Except smiling, apparently!) It doesn't seem like she's not getting what I'm doing or even uninterested in it, it just seems like it doesn't occur to her to mimic it. Like she's just not that in to me! I exist to entertain her, not for her to mimic, apparently! Me: "Say "mama!'" Her: "Hahaha!" Me: "Say 'mama!'" Her: "Blah." Me: "Say...
Quick farmgirl reply re: the chickens: Do you clip their flying feathers? Really helps with getting out! Could be a quick solution to one of your problems!
The only thing I really worry about is herpes. Man, herpes is everywhere! It's even in dirt, naturally. It's like one of the oldest viruses around. I got a raging case of oral herpes when I was teething as a baby, from chewing on the handlebars of shopping carts. My mom tried and tried to keep them covered and to keep my mouth off of them, but I always found a way to get to it. I've suffered my whole life with semi-frequent outbreaks (almost all the time as a kid,...
The Miracle Blanket! (Don't know if there are other swaddler blankets like it, but this one pins her arms down to her sides so she can't break out like those cheap ones). My baby could break out of any swaddle until we got this, and it saved us for months and months. Peaceful nights (until she decided she was done with swaddling). I see they even sell it at BRU now! Worth every penny, IMHO. Other than that, I HIGHLY second the exercise ball! We still use it, to...
That exactly what my DD does, with the gagging. She loves big hunks of things, like teething biscuits and huge apple slices, things that are waaay too big to stick in her mouth whole, she loves chewing on them and tasting them. But like when a chunk comes off of the biscuit---she immediately stops, opens her mouth wide, and if it doesn't fall out she starts gagging. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this is normal for her age, and that it will resolve itself...
DD will be 10 months old on Friday, and has never had a single chunk of food because she's done so horribly with tiny little pieces, even. She was always very sensitive to the thickness of food, gagging if it was too thick, even still now. I started introducing texture with just pureed broccoli, that only has those tiny tiny little balls , and she gagged. Later I tried a little of the organic baby pasta (like couscous) mixed in with pureed veggies, and she gagged. The...