or Connect

Posts by ~Sarah~

Quote: Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic I think she was talking more along the lines of unschooling. There's a forum on it here under the homeschooling section. Basically the philosophy is that by not forcing children to learn, they will want to reach out and learn things they are truly interested in. And most kids would want to be able to read in order to learn other things. You can read up on it if you like. I actually just discovered it the other...
Quote: Originally Posted by foreverinbluejeans John Holt was a home school proponant that wrote articles for Mothering Magazine in the 1980s. I don't have time to go back and research and make 100% sure I am right but I think this is what he believed (he just died not long ago). He did not believe a child's brain was ready for formal learning until around the age 12. Using training programs would not help a child in the long run and can hurt. Schools...
I know I saw a thread recently about this, but can't remember where or find it now (and I never read it). If anyone knows where one is, please let me know! But otherwise, has anyone used one of these systems (like this one: http://www.yourbabycanread.com ), and if so, what's your opinion on it? Did it work/how well? Which one did you use? I'm intrigued by some of these "proof" videos I've seen! But I always like to get a lot of other viewpoints on something like...
Quote: Originally Posted by ElliesMomma my main advice would be to stop fighting it, it's only causing you frustration. if you just give in to his night owl ways, and adjust your life to it, you may still only get the same meager amount of sleep, but at least you won't feel as frustrated by it anymore. good luck! This reminded me of a Bruce Lee quote: "Empty your mind; be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it...
Quote: Originally Posted by averlee Nurse on demand, day and night, as often & long as baby wants. Avoid removing even a sleeping baby from the breast, their dream-sucks keep your supply up and provide good calories. Don't worry about sleeping through the night, just nurse through the night, it's almost just as good. NAK I'd agree with this *so long as you're not going nuts from being the pacifier*. I thik it's also really crucial to remind...
We've had "fussy time" issues starting at around 2 weeks (she's 7 weeks now) where she was totally inconsolable for a few hours every night, and grew increasingly high-needs during the day until I finally broke down and eliminated dairy from my diet, and within 48 hours I had my sweet, fuss-free baby back. The other day, my DH insisted we challenge it and I had just a little milk (enough for a medium machiato----and it's not the coffee, I had that during the elimination...
I would say it's the perfect venue for internet friends and strangers to give their condolences. When my brother died, the paper had one of these for his obituary, and it was nice to see how big the guestbook grew. No matter what venue, you're going to get lots of people paying their respects that the family never knew, and that's actually a comfort----that your loved one touched so many lives and that those people will keep their memory alive as well.
Quote: Originally Posted by acp Curious about this. I always thought it was a myth that water in ears caused infections? DD never had an ear infection and she certainly got water in her ears. I know some people who consciously dunk their babies in the pool or tub when super young (while holding, of course - i'm not talking about that throw-baby-in-a-pool thing) so that they don't forget how to hold their breath and to keep them used to/loving the...
I'm a FTM who had an awesome birth with Hypnobabies. I think "hypno" isn't good enough----I've heard so many times that "Hypnobirthing" sucks while "HypnoBabies" rocks. It rocked for me. It's more comprehensive than any other class out there for childbirth prep, the technical stuff, plus pain management/elimination. I just don't know how anyone could have a painless or comfortable birth while hearing about what's going to hurt and why. Mine didn't hurt, I still used...
I've been researching the same thing for my LO who will be appx 3 months on our annual beach vacation reunion. From what I gather, chlorine kinda sucks, but not really in small doses (bathwater is chlorinated, too). The biggest issue is the risk of germs in public pools that they have no immunity to, and microorganisms and such in ocean water. So I dunno. I've heard people say it's fine, and others say it's not. I guess it's your call! (If going in the water, I would...