or Connect

Posts by sheashea

I've been lucky.  In fact, I've had a number of older, mostly immigrant women comment positively on the fact that I wear my daughter in a carrier.  "Babies feel safe when they are held close," they say.     I have a theory that people are so opinionated about spoiling babies because they felt/feel intuitively wrong about ignoring their own baby's cries, but do not feel empowered to follow that intuition. The trauma of ignoring their own biological and psychological...
In my experience, this is a common story as I have known lots of parents who tell the same tale.  I experienced this with my son.   1. Baby is born on the big side, often overdue. (My DS was 8 lbs, 11 oz and about 10 days late.) 2. Baby starts crossing percentile lines downwards on the charts (WHO included) in the first few weeks or months.  The baby is showing completely normal development in all other respects.  Some Dr's. become alarmed, though, which stresses...
  I totally agree with Melly's statement.  Awesome advice.  Having had two very different babies, I have started to understand that sleep patterns are largely connected to the baby's personality and temperament, not whether parents are using the "right" or "wrong" techniques.     Melly, my DS (now 2.5) sounds exactly like Ben.  Other than the fact that we went through some serious sleep regressions at 4 and 9 months where he was up to nurse far more often, he has always...
I agree that this might be a supply-demand adjustment. On the other hand, DivineMrsM didn't say why she thinks her supply has crashed, so this may not be simply a reduction in fullness or leakage.   As a matter of fact, my cousin had a baby at the end of October; three days before my own DD was born.  About 10 days ago, her supply took a sudden dip for about 48 hours.  She came to this conclusion because 1) her baby was upset and hungry 2) she couldn't express or...
Here is a link about the whole vitamin D debate. And the single drop supplement.
Are all the breast feeding mamas supplementing? Up here in Canada, it's pretty much a given that we supplement, particularly since we don't get much sunshine for the next, oh 5 months! (sob) I don't like the cherry flavored stuff. It bothers me that dd is already being exposed to syropy, artificial flavours, even when she is EBF. There is another brand called D drops. It is just one drop on the nipple per day, no artifial flavours. Think I'll switch after the cherry...
I loved reading your birth story, Lyndzies. It was so beautifully expressed. Thanks for sharing.
Ditto. Ds loved to be held, worn, but was not so down with scheduled tummy time until he rolled over at 3 months and then he wanted to roll onto his tummy all the time.
We went to the midwife yesterday. Niamh was 3 weeks, 4 days and weighed 9 lbs, 14 oz. She weighed 7, 8 at birth, so this is a big gain, almost 2 oz a day. So different from Ds, who has always gained slowly. I chalk it up to the fact that this one actually sleeps, plus some pumping has revealed that my milk is pure cream. Hehe. Is it possible that an autumn baby would get fattier milk than a summer baby, since there is more of an imperative to fatten her up for the cold...
I'm totally with you.  DS was a high needs baby (was awake all the time from a few days old, nursed for hours and hours at a stretch fussed and cried a lot.  Not sure he was colicky per se, but he definitely put me through my paces.)  DD is now 3.5 weeks and is calm, sleeps lots, nurses well but not constantly.  Like you, I've been waiting for the axe to drop.  But, as Melly has pointed out, babies can just be different.     Fingers crossed